Computer not recognizing new memory speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dampat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
HI,
I just changed from 2gb to 3gb memory. The old sticks were 2 512mb ddr 333 pc2700 and 2 512mb ddr 400 pc3200. I swapped out the 2 pc2700 stick with 2 1gb ddr 400 pc3200 sticks. When I turned on the computer recognized it recognized the increase in memory, but when hit F2 to view the changes, it still showed the speed at 333. My computer manual says that I can use iether pc2700 or pc3200, so I am not sure why it doesn't show the the new speed, or even if the speed increased. Any help is appreciated.
Dell Dimension 4600
Pentium 4 2.66 GHz
now showing the 3gb Ram.

Solution
No. Your board may have a certain capacity limit per slot; that's why many older boards won't run windows 7; their ram capacity is too low. Your ram slot may run the 512 stick fine, but only recognize 256 meg of the stick due to it's specs.
You should have a "manual" ram setting somewhere in the bios. Press the "del" key just before you get to the post screen and check your bios sections. Be careful what you change, or the board may not post when you save the new settings and exit. Pc3200 will register as 400 speed in your bios and with cpuz, a small bios file that gives your cpu, ram, and motherboard info.

dampat

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

After downloading and running CPUID I noticed that even though the stick in slot 2 is a 512mb, it only shows being 256mb. My overall ram does show 3gb. Does that mean there may be something wrong with the stick, or the slot? Your thoughts are appriciated.
Thanks.

No. Your board may have a certain capacity limit per slot; that's why many older boards won't run windows 7; their ram capacity is too low. Your ram slot may run the 512 stick fine, but only recognize 256 meg of the stick due to it's specs.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS