Help: Gigabyte motherboard suddenly taking 10 minutes to POST

Status
Not open for further replies.

rettirc

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
I'm having a very strange problem with my new PC, and I think the culprit might be the motherboard.

I built this system a month and a half ago, and until today, everything in it worked fine. I used it last night and didn't make any changes to it before shutting it down; but today, when I started it up, it seemed to hang during the POST process, displaying the GIGABYTE boot menu options screen but not responding to the keyboard. Actually, the POST didn't hang perpetually; it took about 10 minutes. During the 10-minute POST, the motherboard's debug LED goes through the first few codes quickly, but then hangs on code 64: "CPU DXE initialization is started," according to the mobo's manual. After that, it spends several minutes each on:
92: PIC Bus initialization is started
A2: Detect and install all currently connected IDE devices
and A0: IDE initialization is started

Then a Windows loading screen appears for a few seconds, after which the screen goes black and the PC really DOES hang. (It did that 2 of 3 times; the middle time, a Windows Error Recovery service ran, and tried to reset the system to an earlier restore point; but the system hung again when it restarted.)

During the 10-minute-long POST, the POST screen is showing the whole time. If I press DEL or one of the other keys listed on the screen, I can access those menus eventually. I used that fact to update the bios from F3 to F11, because a lot of forums have pointed people towards flashing their BIOSes to fix crazy hardware problems. But the problem persists.

I have tested each stick of RAM in each slot, and both GPUs in each slot; no change. I unplugged all of the SATA devices, and finally, I unplugged the CPU. Only unplugging the CPU had any effect: that made the PC loop on/off about every 5 seconds. Otherwise, with every other component unplugged, the system still hangs with the motherboard's LED reading 64.

I examined the CPU's housing for any bent pins, but didn't see any.

At this point, I can't think of anything more to try. I've scoured Internet forums, none of which report the exact thing, but many of which suggest one of two options: 1) the BIOS is simply out of date, or 2) the motherboard is malfunctioning. Since I took care of 1), I'm left with 2).

Does anybody have any different theories or solutions?

SYSTEM
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-2550K Processor 3.4 4 LGA 1155
2x EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
SanDisk Extreme SSD 120GB GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s2.5-Inch Solid State Drive
Corsair HX Professional Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
ASUS Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/ASG

mace200200

Honorable
Is the heatsink working properly, anyone can overlook simple or obvious things and thats the only other thing i can think of. If the motherboard doesn't detect a heat sink it's suppose to shut off right away but it could do something strange such as this.

rettirc

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Tested the system w/o the heatsink after inspecting the CPU: no change.

Put the heatsink back on: no change:

rettirc

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

My conclusion too. As well as Gigabyte's: I'd sent their tech support the same story I posted here, and they replied thusly:

Sorry for the inconvenience, I can see that you almost tried eveything for troubleshooting, Please check the following:

1) Assure both ATX-24PIN and ATX12V-8PIN power are connected properly to the motherboard, (see user manual page 7 for ref).

2) Test with motherboard, CPU and 1 stick of memory module only.

3) If problem persists, please test the motherboard outside of the case to prevent power shortage.

4) If it turns out to be motherboard issue, please submit the following form for RMA request:

So I ran through all of these tests. The only one that changed anything was taking the mobo out of the case, at which point its code sequence hung not at 64 but three codes later, at A6 ("Detect and install all currently connected SCSI devices"). Intrigued, I plugged the HDDs, BD-ROM, and GPU back in one at a time and tested the sequence. Nothing changed - it now just hangs at A6.

*** it. RMA time. Let's see how good Gigabyte's support system really is...

rettirc

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

After three weeks of waiting (2 for shipping, 1 for the {absurdly long} RMA process), I got a replacement mobo, and the rig worked fine. So this turned out to be the right answer. But thanks to you other guys for your thorough testing suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.