Maximus V Formula/P8Z77-V Deluxe/Premium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoRealBobadilla

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hey guys, thought I had my board picked out already, but it;s been brought to my attention that the board is a little overkill because I don't want to game, I want to do a lot of multi-tasking, file transfer, and video processing, and I've been advised to get a workstation board as opposed to a gaming board.

That being said my build lineup is:

Mobo: This is the current topic of debate.
CPU: Intel i7-3770K (just got it in the mail today!)
GPU: Either a NVIDIA 550 ti or a 560 ti, haven't decided yet.
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator GT running @ 2100MHz and 1.5V
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D (That was a pretty penny!)
PSU: Corsair (waiting to determine wattage)
Storage Drives: Maybe a 60GB SSD for boot, 1TB (Western Digital or Barracuda?) 7200 RPM HDD
Cooling: Will be using 4 LED case fans (not including radiator fans), and a custom build water cooling system. Deciding on parts ATM.

SO, like I said in the title, I'm stuck between the upcoming Maximus V Formula, the P8Z77-V Deluxe, and the P8Z77-V Premium. I like the Maximus because it's got a build in waterblock for the mobo, it's stylish looking, and it's got many I/O ports and O.C.ing features. However, the P8Z77-V's have air radiators on them, and to be honest I don't know hot to change the blocks over to water cooling (maybe someone could point me to a thread or tut on this topic?). I like the Premium because of the Thunderbolt port (genius!) and the included SSD, however the price tag is a little steep for me (and I mean, pretty steep). The Deluxe may be a good choice for me because it still has many high speed PCIe ports and 3.0 ports, however has no SSD on board, and no thunderbolt (however, the board itself does have a large cache for boot-time information...)

I'm looking to do a lot of video processing, multi-tasking, and some O.C.ing with this board (not extreme) and I don't game either.

If someone could help me decide between these boards I'd be thankful, and I'd be just as happy to get an explanation or link for changing over the radiator on the P8Z77-Vs to a waterblock.

Thanks!!!!! -Matt

Solution
if you're not doing extreme OCing, ignore the Maximus. the P8Z77 series are usually enough for most people. the motherboard components rarely gets hot unless they're extremely OC'ed or are faulty.

it's that CPU you're gonna have to be worried about when OCing, unless i'm misreading your post here, and you actually really want to OC the motherboard.

Hazle

Distinguished
if you're not doing extreme OCing, ignore the Maximus. the P8Z77 series are usually enough for most people. the motherboard components rarely gets hot unless they're extremely OC'ed or are faulty.

it's that CPU you're gonna have to be worried about when OCing, unless i'm misreading your post here, and you actually really want to OC the motherboard.

Solution

BoRealBobadilla

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012

Thanks for the input, I was thinking that the Maximus might be a little too much for me. So, it looks like it has come down to the P8Z77-V Deluxe and Premium. I think I will go with the Deluxe, I'd rather have the Premium, but unless I'm willing to skip a GPU I won't be able to afford the Premium.

Now that THAT'S figured out, to answer your question I do a little O.C.ing with the CPU, some of the actual board, but mostly I O.C. the RAM (with the board). I have a feeling that since I'll be upgrading to 16GB I'll probably have less of a need to do that, as 16GB is pretty adequate for any job I would use it for.

With that said, I still think that adding a waterblock instead of the radiator on the board would be a smart move (correct me if I'm wrong).... if I do plan to do this, how would I go about it? I think that waterblocks are made specifically for each series (in this case, the P8Z77 series) that can be installed in place of the stock radiator. Where could I find a fitting block, and how do I go about installing one of those bad boys?

Status
Not open for further replies.