6990 vs 590 vs 580

jeff1304

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
i have been running various sli and crossfire setups over the last 3 computer i have built and im tired of having dual gpus issues of various sorts will dual gpu on the same card still provide the same issues as crossfire and sli would and just go with a single 580.

currently im running a pair of 5870s that im selling and the problems i have been having are huge fps fluctuations in some games long hang ups starting and closing games along with alt tabbing.

my system specs
i7 920 over clocked to 3.33ghz and turbos to 3.6
12gb of ddr3 1660
velcioraptor 600gb
corsair 900 watt
on a asus P6X58D Premium

Solution

You may just want to go for a 580. I used to use 5870's too, and also got rid of them, but I never had those issues, but it's probably the games you have. I've read reviews on SLI/CF setups that just had issues with particular games. I had issues with the VRM's over heating causing the drivers to stop. I had to underclock them to keep it under control, that and the fan on one of them was making a loud noise (not a normal high rpm sound).

What sort of issues does it have with duel screens?

The only thing I'm aware that any of the single cards I mentioned have, is that they all run at hotter temps when idling if you have 2 screens hooked up. This is due to the higher memory clocks needed to support two monitors at once.

If this bothers you, you can use a really cheap (or spare) video card to drive your 2nd monitor.

jeff1304

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

ok so the other question is there a new gen of cards coming out any time real soon ? or should i go ahead and jump and get this card now ?

I'm unsure when, but I did hear rumors that the next gen AMD cards will be out mid year.

The truth is, there are always new cards coming out soon. It always feels like there is something coming around the corner causing you to wait, but if you have two 5870's working in CF now, it may be worth waiting.

jeff1304

Distinguished
May 9, 2008

well im tired of the micro stutter, im also tired of having large amount of carrying performance from one game to another. not to mention im tired of amd horrible drivers that make some of my games unplayable.

You may just want to go for a 580. I used to use 5870's too, and also got rid of them, but I never had those issues, but it's probably the games you have. I've read reviews on SLI/CF setups that just had issues with particular games. I had issues with the VRM's over heating causing the drivers to stop. I had to underclock them to keep it under control, that and the fan on one of them was making a loud noise (not a normal high rpm sound).

Solution