Sign in with
Your question

Single, Dual and Triple, Quad Channel RAM

Last response: in Memory
July 3, 2012 1:55:14 AM

I see in local stores about dual channel rams like 2x4gb rams, 3x4gb or 4x4gb rams these rams come in pairs or in kits

what if I buy 3pcs of single ram Kingston HyperX Genesis 4gb ddr3 1600 CL9 (KHX1600C9D3/4G) will it run like/perform like a triple channel kit like a Kingston HyperX 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) XMP Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX?
a c 128 } Memory
July 3, 2012 1:42:45 PM

All ram speed is determined by testing at the factory. The single, dual, or tripple channel rating is determined by the motherboard chipset and the position of the ram slots. For tripple channel x58 motherboards, just install the ram in threes; you can buy individual sticks and install them together but buying a specific kit tested for your ram type is better and sometimes cheaper. Don't put dual channel ram in a tripple channel motherboard; it will only run at the slower dual channel speed if you leave slots empty.
July 3, 2012 9:07:13 PM

So its better to buy 3 single rams than buying dual?

My motherboard is Intel DX58SO, my processor is Corei-7 920

What ram can you suggest I should get? I'm leaning to G.Skill rams now xD

3x4gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4x4gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

forgot to say that my board has 3 blue slots and 1 black slot for rams

I've also asked intel agent in a live chat and this is what he said

Michael: Hello. Thank you for using the Intel Customer Chat Support service. We are glad to be of service. How may I help you?
: Hi I have a question
: I have an Intel DX58SO motherboard
: and I wanted to ask
: there are 3 blue ram slots and 1 black ram slots
: whats the difference?
Michael: you have to populate the blue memory slots first
Michael: but either blue or black memory slots are the same
: ok
: one more thing
: I'm going to buy this ram
: G.Skill RipJaws X (dual) 2x4gb ddr3 1600 CL9 (F3 12800CL9D 8GBXL)
: its gonna be a 4x4 so 16gb all in all
: will this have anyproblems?
Michael: what is your processor model?
: Corei-7 920
: I went over to the tested memory section
: I don't see any G.SKill brand
Michael: I recommend to get memory that is DDR3-800/1066 at 1.5v. For more memory specifications please go here:
Michael: http://ark.intel.com/products/37147/Intel-Core-i7-920-P...(8M-Cache-2_66-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI)
: ddr3 800/1066?
: right now i'm running on Kingston 4gb DDr3 1366
: 2 of them
Michael: correct
: so I can still get those 4 g.skill rams to run on my system?
Michael: No because is 1600 MHZ
: hmm
: what about this
: G.Skill RipJaws X (Dual) 2x4gb ddr3 1333 CL9 (F3 10666CL9D 8GBXL)
: a 1333 ddr3 one
: same frequency like the kingston i have right now?
Michael: I understand but we do not recommend that memory since later on it could damage the memory controller
: i see
: thank you very much
: that is all the questions i have
Michael: you are welcome
Related resources
a c 146 } Memory
July 3, 2012 9:23:20 PM

Hi there,

While on the topic memory Intel opted to only include four memory slots in the DX58SO. In these boards the full memory performance potential is only achieved with the primary three slots filled.

The forth slot allows you to add an additional 2GB of DRAM, but that module is only accessed at single-channel performance rate, decreasing performance of that module by 66.66%.

Other motherboards such as the ASUS P6T Deluxe provide a full six memory slots that allow for a maximum capacity of 12 GB of DDR3 at full performance potential. With this board being an excellent candidate for a workstation, we certainly can't quite grasp the logic in this configuration.

Memory
Four 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets
Support for DDR3 1600 MHz, DDR3 1333 MHz, DDR3 1066 MHz
Support for up to 16 GB of system memory
a c 146 } Memory
July 3, 2012 9:25:24 PM

Both are acceptable : )

"The forth slot allows you to add an additional 2GB of DRAM, but that module is only accessed at single-channel performance rate, decreasing performance of that module by 66.66%. "

I would get 4 x 4GB.

July 4, 2012 2:49:05 AM

nikorr said:
Both are acceptable : )

"The forth slot allows you to add an additional 2GB of DRAM, but that module is only accessed at single-channel performance rate, decreasing performance of that module by 66.66%. "

I would get 4 x 4GB.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/motherboards/Intel_DX58SO/SmackOverDTstraightrev2.jpg

4x4 rams is rarely available in my country's local stores, I doubt I can order stuff in newegg since i don't have any credit card

can you suggest me a single G.Skill ram that I can buy up to 4pcs? very confused now lol.

this is one of the local stores here, this shop roughly represents what all the other local store sells.
http://www.tipidpc.com/useritems.php?username=PCHub
a c 146 } Memory
August 9, 2012 1:23:45 AM

How much RAM do u need?
a c 146 } Memory
August 9, 2012 1:30:36 AM

Your mobo supports four 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets.
Do u have Win7 x64bit windows?
a c 146 } Memory
August 9, 2012 1:31:51 AM

There is no difference for u to use dual or quad channel for RAM. U would need system that supports the quad channel.

Its the socket 2011 with chipset x79.
a b } Memory
January 21, 2013 11:40:57 PM

You don't actually have to buy the ram cards in a set you can get the single cards and buy multiple pieces of them but just make sure that the frequency, timings, voltage and version are the same.
As many have already said
put one card = single channel
Put two card = dual channel(depends on how you place them)
Put three cards = triple channel(depends on how you place them)
Put four cards = quad channel(depends on how you place them)
But in your case since it doesnot support quad channel it will work on dual channel.
Please consult your manual for memory card placement

I'd say go for three cards it's better than dual channel also for most people 12gB is enough.
If you really care for the extra 4gB then only go for the 16gB.
Also make sure that you have the right version of windows. Windows premium and the better versions can only support 16gB or more of ram.
!