Sign in with
Your question

New network/NAS advice needed

Last response: in Networking
September 15, 2010 10:17:26 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing my first NAS box (the Synology DS210J is my favoured option at the moment) and having read the very informative sticky "NAS basics" thread I'm thinking I might need to upgrade my ADSL wireless modem router.

I will be using the NAS to share files between my PC, Laptop & PS3 (PC & PS3 currently connected via ethernet and Laptop via wireless) and to stream music/video. I will also be using the NAS for data backup from my PC.

I currently have a Netgear DG834G router/modem and am wondering what peformance differences I would see if I upgraded to wireless N/gigabit router/modem?

I don't really want to be spending any more money on a new modem/router but if it's going to offer significant performance benefits I'll do it.

I'd welcome recommendations for a good wireless n gigabit ADSL/modem, wouldn't want to spend more than £100 if at all possible.

Thanks,

Ed. :) 
September 15, 2010 2:45:02 PM

You need to look at the speeds of all of your networked devices to determine if a Gb router would be beneficial. Consoles are 10/100 and if nothing else on your network is Gb, I don't see a need to upgrade the network.
September 15, 2010 3:27:34 PM

schm1tty said:
You need to look at the speeds of all of your networked devices to determine if a Gb router would be beneficial. Consoles are 10/100 and if nothing else on your network is Gb, I don't see a need to upgrade the network.

Thanks for the info Schm1tty, the only part of my network that is Gb is my PC connected via ethernet, do you think for this it would be worth upgrading.

Cheers,

Ed.
Related resources
September 15, 2010 3:49:13 PM

If multiple devices will be accessing your computer simultaneously, like for media streaming or high volume backups, then you might see a difference, but if you are the only heavy user on your network you might just be better off to save a couple of bucks.

And, if you decide on getting a NAS you can see how smoothly your network runs with it and then make a final decision on whether to upgrade the network or not.

Glad I could be of assistance :) 
September 16, 2010 10:43:14 AM

schm1tty said:
If multiple devices will be accessing your computer simultaneously, like for media streaming or high volume backups, then you might see a difference, but if you are the only heavy user on your network you might just be better off to save a couple of bucks.

And, if you decide on getting a NAS you can see how smoothly your network runs with it and then make a final decision on whether to upgrade the network or not.

Glad I could be of assistance :) 

Sounds like a plan, although if I try it with my current router it wont tell me how much faster things might run with a gigabit router!

Cheers,

Ed.
September 17, 2010 1:03:50 PM

Yes, that is quite true :p 

The only thing that I can think of that you might be able to help test it, try a tracert with and without everything running and you can compare the reply times to see if everything has an impact on your networks latency.

Good luck with everything!:) 
!