Possible PSU issue.

sicpric

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
My PC will not start up at all. When I hit the power button the LED comes on at the front of the PC and a few LEDs on the mobo come on as well, but no fans at all come on. No beeps either. I have tried re-seating all connectors and devices.

This is the PSU I have: Thermaltake Toughpower W0133RU (overkill, I know lol)

I have no way to test my PSU atm, so I am considering just ordering a new one. I'm fairly confident it's an issue with the PSU, but I would like some more knowledgeable people's feedback.

Thanks.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
do you have any lights on the mobo that flash green for power, red for no power? It is very likely you have a bad psu, and if so, i would recommend changing to a higher quality psu like antec, corsair, seasonic, xfx, or ocz. outside of these, you are "spitting in the ocean" as far as getting a quality psu.

jawnTEM

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Well, working with computers it could be many things why it won't post/start-up/ignite including your MB itself. You didn't say what your MB or CPU was and many of the newer components on the market today are very finicky, sometimes even refusing to boot if you have the memory in the wrong slot.

I would suggest an attempt to eliminate as many of these possibilities as possible and check that it is your PS or or your MB or some other cause. Many stores offer such services (sometimes for a fee) that check computer components. Do you have an old MB that you can plug into, or another PS that you can connect to check it out? Is there a used computer store/Goodwill etc. that you can go to and purchase a used PS from? They usually sell for cheep and they will show you that it works before purchase. They might even check you PS for free if you pretend that you wish to sell it to them and then change your mind.

Also some computer places sell PS testers that you can connect and actually show what your V/power etc. is and if it is working. They can also be purchased off the Int/Ebay. and would certainly be cheaper than the purchase of another possibly unnecessary PS and/or MB. This would also give you a valuable tool for any future issues. These testers usually run in the price range of $19 bucks +/-.

Good luck in your efforts and keep us posted on this as it might help others as well.

J

jawnTEM

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Well, working with computers it could be many things why it won't post/start-up/ignite including your MB itself. You didn't say what your MB or CPU was and many of the newer components on the market today are very finicky, sometimes even refusing to boot if you have the memory in the wrong slot.

I would suggest an attempt to eliminate as many of these possibilities as possible and check that it is your PS or or your MB or some other cause. Many stores offer such services (sometimes for a fee) that check computer components. Do you have an old MB that you can plug into, or another PS that you can connect to check it out? Is there a used computer store/Goodwill etc. that you can go to and purchase a used PS from? They usually sell for cheep and they will show you that it works before purchase. They might even check you PS for free if you pretend that you wish to sell it to them and then change your mind.

Also some computer places sell PS testers that you can connect and actually show what your V/power etc. is and if it is working. They can also be purchased off the Int/Ebay. and would certainly be cheaper than the purchase of another possibly unnecessary PS and/or MB. This would also give you a valuable tool for any future issues. These testers usually run in the price range of $19 bucks +/-.

Good luck in your efforts and keep us posted on this as it might help others as well.

J

TRENDING THREADS