Palit gtx 460/768 running hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olracnom

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
its summer time in our country and the weather temp at my sidebar gadget is 33c.

my gtx 460 idles at 37-40c and 44-45c just browsing the web (does browsing the web using mozilla 4 can increase heat in graphics card ?)

when playing games like crysis 2 @70% fixed fanspeed the temp goes up as 69c.

I also use furmark to stress test my video card and my maximum temp is 77c for 30mins

Btw im using thermaltake Xaser VI casing.

Is this normal?

Solution
Have you looked up all the threads about the gtx 460 in general having issues regardless of brand? Well I am going to tell you that this cards isn't one that is made to last. Without cooling for the power vrm and vram the card will likely fail after a few thousand hours of use but expected life is well below 10,000 hours max or two years of daily use. Basically it is the performance of a single gtx 280 with the power consumption of a gtx 260~ in a smaller space with very poor cooling. Just about every model of this card requires some modding but a lot of care and attention if it is meant to last.

What case do you have and how many fans are installed?
Bring down those temps, I know the gtx 460 better than just about anybody here. This model is one of the worst and is known to have problems resulting from poor cooling. Max the fan speed if you have to and in the mean time get some ramsinks to cool the mosfets on the card so that doesn't fail. Is the case open or all sealed up?

Have you looked up all the threads about the gtx 460 in general having issues regardless of brand? Well I am going to tell you that this cards isn't one that is made to last. Without cooling for the power vrm and vram the card will likely fail after a few thousand hours of use but expected life is well below 10,000 hours max or two years of daily use. Basically it is the performance of a single gtx 280 with the power consumption of a gtx 260~ in a smaller space with very poor cooling. Just about every model of this card requires some modding but a lot of care and attention if it is meant to last.

What case do you have and how many fans are installed?

Solution

olracnom

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011

My case is Thermaltake Xarser VI

3 140m and 2 120m fans

Do you think buying aftermarket cooler will lessen the heat of my gpu like deep cool v4000 !
some comfirmed that the deep cool v4000 it will fit the palit gtx 460....

http://www.deepcoolglobal.com/Product/V4000/

Oh how nice you are in Europe, that is about the best cooler that will work for any gtx 460. That will improve the lifespan of the card greatly but you still must use some ramsinks to take care of the power vrm and vram if there is room. If you do that then this card will see much better temps and overclocking may improve as well. I wanted this cooler but isn't available in the Americas. :(

olracnom

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011

im not european! im from philippines, deep cool v4000 here cost about 22$

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Those temps are perfectly normal for that card. I can't speak to design flaws or whatever nforce4max has discovered in his OCD dissasembly and infrared heat gun adventures ;), but you are well within what the manufacturer has deemed a safe operating tempurature for that card.

olracnom

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
i just bought the v4000 and test it in furmark it made my temp cooler than the stock cooler of palit gtx 460/768.

same weather temp 33c

deep cool v4000
max temp in furmark 67-68c.

stock heatsink
max temp in furmark 77c.

9-10c difference!

olracnom

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
theres 2 left, where is the power vram? i already put the 6 vram heatsink in the big black rectangular near the gpu processor.... is the power vram is the little square one near the end of the card?

Yes and they are flat. Those little squares next to the chokes.

palit-gtx460-scan-front.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.