New motherboard, no response...

BriGuy81

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
I just put in an asus m3a3 mvp deluxe mobo. I hooked everything up, fired it up and got no response. Everything turns on, fans are going like crazy, lights are on, optical drive works, etc. But there is no connection from the video card to the monitor. Also, there are no beeps or anything when I power to computer on. It's as if it powers on and enters a frozen state, fans ablaze, with no response.

Thoughts?

If this is your motherboard http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3A32MVP_Deluxe/, then check for a bios file number for your cpu under cpu support. You may need to update the bios first and use an older am2 cpu to flash the bios. But don't flash the bios unless you have to; bios flashes erase the old bios file, and if something goes wrong, you'll end up with a dead board.

BriGuy81

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Checked the BIOS number...its 1.02 which should be fine with my processor, right?http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M3A32MVP_Deluxe/#CPUS

I've checked all my loose cables and everything seems intact. Could it be that my hard drive is toast? What else would cause it to not even load up?

You don't need to use your hardrive to post. Use onboard video (if you can), one stick of ram, cpu/heatsink, and maybe the keyboard to enter the bios, set the boot order, ram, or smartfan settings, save and exit. I do this out of the case (breadboarding, on a non conductive surface). I touch the case pin cluster and move the screwdriver around until it fires up. You'll have to troubleshoot, starting with breadboarding, and maybe test the power supply in another system or borrow one. If you're getting a post screen but windows won't load, then a format and fresh installation of windows will be necessary, as it is with almost any new motherboard. Windows can't find the old board drivers, so it won't load.

BriGuy81

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
I started up the motherboard with the cpu/heatsink, one stick of ram, and graphics card. Fan starts up, light on mobo is on, but no beep and no communication to the monitor.

I started up the mobo with just the cpu/heatsink and one stick of ram, and still, no response. Light is on, but there was no post beep at all.

I really have no idea what it could be at this point, besides the brand new mobo is defective. I'm not sure what else would cause this behavior and no post beep whatsoever...

gman94

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

I have the EXACT same problem as you right now. I just RMA'd my mobo, so I'll keep you posted when I see what happens if you don't fix it by then.

BriGuy81

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Thanks. I'm going to see if there is anything else I can troubleshoot, but everything that I've read is that my mobo is probably dead. Pisses me off...so yeah, I'm feeling like the most likely outcome is a return, then rinse, wash, repeat.

Let me know if a new mobo worked for you. I'm about to go 'Office Space' on my computer...

gman94

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

Tell me about it, I spent two days trying to troubleshoot and just retrying over and over. All my cables were correct, RAM multiple times in each slot to no avail. In my case I got a new CPU as well, but those are never DOA and no bent pins, etc. So I'm just gonna assume it is the mobo. Since you only got a new mobo and assuming everything is compatible I would just RMA it.