No Beeps, No Post, No Video

Kallb123

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
A PC I have has developed a problem. When I turn it on, it doesn't display anything on screen and it doesn't beep.
I tried removing the graphics card and then the motherboard beeps, 1 long and 2 short (Monitor or display card error). I get the same beeps if I put the graphics card in the second PCI Express slot. I have tried two different graphics card, one brand new.
I have tried each of the two sticks of ram separately, in several different slots.
I have tried two different power supplies, the one its always used, and one that has seen no use because the cables were too short.
I have tried all this outside the case, with nothing but these few things connected (PSU, RAM, CPU & Heatsink, Graphics card and Monitor) but I see nothing on screen.
I have also reset the bios by putting jumpers on the pins, and also again by removing the battery and cable for 15 minutes.
Just to be clear, when I put either graphics card (9400GT or HD5450) in slot 1, I can see that there is power, but there are no beeps and nothing on screen. It is only when I remove the RAM or remove/move the graphics card.
I'm not sure what else I can do. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI. Is the motherboard faulty or is it the CPU?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

puttsy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
It is likely your motherboard that's no longer working. If it's under warranty, RMA it to Gigabyte. I've RMA'd several things to Gigabyte and they aren't too bad to work with. CPU's don't often fail. It's possible but not likely.

Let us know what you come up with. And try your gear in a different machine if you can.

Kallb123

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Strange thing is, I tried the original graphics card in my main computer, different output too (DVI instead of HDMI), and I got no picture on screen. I'm gunna have to try that again to see if the graphics card actually works :/

I saw somewhere that Gigabyte offer a 3 year warranty (measured from manufacture date) so I'm hoping its younger than that. I bought it only a year or so ago.

Just something I'd like to know before I send it away, should I be able to put a graphics card in either PCI Express slots? I thought I would since I see people posting 'try the card in the other slot', but as I said, it just beeps at me. I find it hard to believe that both slots are broken, especially since the other one has never seen use.

Thanks for your reply.