What will happen to SDRAM when DDR is launched?

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like EDO RAM, SDRAM is set to be taken over by newer technology - DDR. I am having a debate with my friend - will the launch create great decrease of normal SDRAM price, due to lower demand, or increases dramatically, due to manufacturers' ditching of manufacturing them? Like the EDOs? If that's the case I think if you are having a SDRAM machines (ok, everyone except Rambus guys) and not planning to upgrade for the next 6 months or so and would like to add RAM, it is a good time to do it now. What are your opinions?

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>member</b>!

agriffin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not real sure about the architecture of EDO compared to SDRAM. I do know that SDRAM and DDR-SDRAM are extremely similar in that respect though. So we may see no change at all. I think they will probably continue high production of regular SDRAM seeing how 90% of the computers in the world are running with that typw of memory. The companies will stick to the law of supply and demand. As DDR becomes more of a main stay, and is implemented with those other than the early adopters, I think we'll see the price of DDR drop and regular SD rise, but I don't think we'll ever see the gap that we currently see in prices for EDO.

Of course, if EDO is similar is respect to regular SDRAM, then my whole logic is completely false and I'm dead wrong. So maybe one of our resident computer engineers could enlighten us! :)

G

For what I know regarding EDO.. it is a tad different from SDRAM speed, access, architecture. But as already someone posted.. SDRAM will not just cease to exist from one day to another.. not everyone will be able to aford DDRAM for a while, so.. SDRAM has plenty of life to go.

/---------------------------------------/
Be and let others be as well!
The Dark-Knight

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i think sdram will hang around for a while. for all the reasons that people above me have said, plus one can still give one's system qute a kick in the pants with some more ram. if you have a decent board for not a lot of cash you can greatly improve your system with more ram and a new processor. not that you didn't know that...but that's my logic.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Fact is DDR wil not cost much more than current SDRs so they won't be out of reach for most people. Also, DDR is the future of memory so most manufacturers will not produce any more SDRs. However there will still be demand and supplies for SDRs, though not as phenomenal as DDRs. I'm trying to compare this to EDOs. And the architecture of the memory doesn't matter anyway, because the performance is what people are concerned of. Compare DDR over SDR and SDRAM over EDORAM.

1st <b>member</b>!

cshaun

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What is the price difference between DDR and SDRam???

Looking at most graphics cards that use either, the one that uses DDR are MUCH MUCH more expnsive????

And when is all this ment to happen?

G

If analyst reports are correct then we are seeing sdram pricing will start to go uuuuup soon. How much, who knows.

I say, if you need it, get it. Don't need, don't get. Upgraddng becuase the price is good not good enough reason.

Do you need it! or do you want. This is something I ask my self everytime I buy a new DVD. Want it, always wins.

Take care

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DDR is expected to be 10-20% more expensive. That's perfectly fine for me since it would be $10-20 more. That's fine for 10% boost in performance.

Graphic cards with DDRs are MUCH MUCH MUCH more expensive because the demand is higher for such products, and they are MUCH MUCH MUCH more powerful.

1st <b>ENTHUSIAST</b>!

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
SDRAM will fade away little by little. RAMBUS was never even in the picture. I perdict that DDR will replace SDRAM in new systems, but it will take a long time for SDRAM to vanish. heck...we still have EDO available don't we?

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

G

What will happen sith the prices and supply of all memory types (SDRAM, DDR-SDRAM, Rambus, EDO) depends greatly on the demand. And everybody can WANT to use DDR-SDRAM, but if there are no motherboards, nobady can actually USE it. Read Tom's analysis of the Intel roadmap, realise that Intel has the largest portion of the desktop market (70%?) and does not support DDR-SDRAM because of the Rambus deal. This means some 50% of all new desktop computers will continue to use SDRAM; also nearly all memory upgrades come from SDRAM-machines. DDR-SDRAM will most likely start growing slowly. After the start - who knows? I'd guess it can grow quite quickly to 90% market share in about 2 years, but I'm not Tom :)

"I'm a stream of noughts and crosses in your R.A.M."

Atman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm,
SDRAM prices will go up between now and Q1 next year. DDR will hit the market priced higher because of supply/demand though the field will eventually level out with SDRAM catching up with DDR other than the ? 10% price difference for performance? If the article was correct, intel is chatting with VIA about boards/chipsets. intel was ignorant enough to get locked in with those spuds over at rambus so they pretty much get what they deserve...kinda like they have done everyone else in the past... :) I don't spect rdram will ever be in the picture for anyone. After the initial DDR boom...a year or two down the road, I would probably expect to see price differences between SDRAM and DDR like the current pricing between PC-66 and PC-100 or somewhere thereabouts. HeckifIknow just my half cents worth
Atman