Burning Smell Coming from my Psu >.<

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hey guys, its been quite a while since I posted here but powersupplies and eletrical components in general don't exact fall in to my area of "expertise"...

So last night I was at a friend's LAN and my pc has a bottom mounted OCZ stealthxstream 700w so in order to gain some air flow, its got stand offs on the bottom. Pretty typical. However, not thinking, I put my case on his extremely soft carpet which seems to have, coupled with moderate amounts of dust, really killed any sort of cooling in the power supply. A few hours later we all had the same exact question "What's that smell?". I realized it had come from my psu so I called it for the night.

Fastforward to now and I cleaned it out and tested it this morning and it actually does power on my pc. My question is A) Is it possible for PSUs to recover from burning and B) Can I actually trust using this thing again without worrying about it blowing up??

I can try to take pictures of it if it'll really help anyone but to describe the burning, it's not really wide spread and it sort of left this caramel colored sticky residue on some U shaped component with a cord wrapped around it..

I know that's a lot of text but I really need your help guys, thanks :(

Solution
More then likely, you were just burning dust. If a PSU blew, you'd know it. I'd test it under supervised conditions for a day or so, and make sure the PSU is stable at full load for a sustained period before doing another LAN though...
More then likely, you were just burning dust. If a PSU blew, you'd know it. I'd test it under supervised conditions for a day or so, and make sure the PSU is stable at full load for a sustained period before doing another LAN though...

Solution