Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX590 downgrade...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2011 11:51:24 AM

Am going to get a GTX590 at some point for my new build... little expensive at the moment, so I was wondering what is the cheapest/best card I can get just to get my system up and running in the mean time? I'm not a gamer so I don't need anything "super" at all... Would like to hook up 2 mon's though... was looking at the Asus GT210 PCI-E2.0 512MB DDR2 Low Profile just to be able to install my system and look at the net...lol

More about : gtx590 downgrade

a c 172 U Graphics card
May 2, 2011 1:08:17 PM

GT210 is to weak unless you are playing DX6 through DX8 era games that are not demanding at all. I suggest a better card in the meantime, 9500gt or a GT220.
m
l
May 2, 2011 1:36:42 PM

As I said before I'm not doing games... I play DiamondMine v.1 lol... I just want a card so I can plug in my monitor and see while installing Win7, and when I get the cash in a couple of months get the GTX590 so I can get back to work... I have been looking at the GT220 though...

thx
m
l
Related resources
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 2, 2011 1:45:16 PM

Why would you be considering the GTX590 at all if your not a gamer?
m
l
May 2, 2011 2:06:16 PM

Work with audio, building a DAW and want those 4 monitors so I don't have to be shifting back and forth to the different screens during a mix... :) 
m
l
May 2, 2011 4:10:07 PM

If you are not gaming and you want 4+ monitors there are cheaper solutions than the gtx 590...

Many of the 6 series radeon cards (6870, 6950, 6970) can support up to 4 monitors on one card (2 monitors on the two DPs, will require active adapters if you dont have display port monitors).

Or something like the eyefinity 6 5870 cards can output to 6 monitors.

Grabbing two lower end nvidia cards should also let you get to at-least 3 monitors.

Really no need for the gtx 590...
m
l
May 2, 2011 5:23:01 PM

So true... but, it's on my list and I'm gonna get 1, not today or even 2morrow... but see.. I didn't post to hear how crazy I am I know this already... I posted to find a low end replacement... thx anyways... :) 
m
l
May 9, 2011 12:43:33 AM

GreyMachine said:
If you are not gaming and you want 4+ monitors there are cheaper solutions than the gtx 590...

Many of the 6 series radeon cards (6870, 6950, 6970) can support up to 4 monitors on one card (2 monitors on the two DPs, will require active adapters if you dont have display port monitors).

Or something like the eyefinity 6 5870 cards can output to 6 monitors.

Grabbing two lower end nvidia cards should also let you get to at-least 3 monitors.

Really no need for the gtx 590...

Here's the deal... I just want a "crap card" to be able to see a screen so I can install my OS and get my raid setup, and install my software... All your suggestions are beautiful if I was gonna keep the card in the machine! I'm not, finito, it's over, a non-discussion...

I'm getting an EVGA GeForce GT 430, and when its done it's job, and I get my GTX590, it will be put aside for the HTPC I'm going to build... Not looking for gaming solutions or cards... The 590 is a one stop solution for all my needs, powerful, multimonitor possibility's, and it's not an ATI (most important of all), they run hot and they run loud, remember the DAW part=silence...The GTX590 would never have to kick into overdrive, ergo would never be heard... and my silent air cooled solution would go on being just that, silent...

So I finally got this thread back on track...down grading the GTX590 not getting it's replacement...
m
l
May 9, 2011 1:02:26 AM

I've got an 8400GS in my non-gaming rig and it works fine with 2 monitors. It only cost me $25....
m
l

Best solution

a c 216 U Graphics card
May 9, 2011 5:32:14 AM

If you are looking at a silent solution, the 590 is still not the best option. You can get two lower end cards that have no fan on them at all, so they'll be completely silent and run two monitors on each.

Putting two of these in your system can let you have a 4 screen extended display with no sound: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 9, 2011 6:39:39 AM

bystander said:
If you are looking at a silent solution, the 590 is still not the best option. You can get two lower end cards that have no fan on them at all, so they'll be completely silent and run two monitors on each.

Putting two of these in your system can let you have a 4 screen extended display with no sound: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for the first "real" answer... I have considered going down the silent road... will make final descion when I get some readings on my airflow...have made extensive alterations to the inside of the case (audio treatment), if that is the case, the GT430 I mentioned has a silent version also... I don't want to go back to the stoneage either... lol thank for a good answer...
m
l
May 9, 2011 6:40:23 AM

Best answer selected by ReggaeMixer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 9, 2011 3:21:04 PM

As bystander stated, the 590 is quite a loud card. It's definitely not the choice for something where noise is a concern. A pair of lower end cards would be a much better choice for you.
m
l
!