Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte ga-790fx motherboard wont get past bios screen

Last response: in Motherboards
July 3, 2012 7:57:29 PM

Have built my first system in years and having trouble. first the board was shipped with a improperly set cpu wich wound up with bent pins. I got the pins fixed and now i can get to the boot screen. But i cannot get anything to work at the boot screen. Here are my specs:

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-790FX-FXTA-UD5
Processor: AMD AM3 phenom II 3.2 Ghz six-core
memory: 4gb corsair 1600mhz DDR3 x2
500 watt coolmax modular power supply
120gb ocz ssd drive
lg blue ray burner

motherboard and chip were bought used off ebay (been months so no way to return) but the rest are brand new.

I have a limited budget so i need to try to make the current components work. I have no extra ddr3 memory which is the only type it will take and my old system uses a am2 chipset and ddr2 memory so no using it to try out the chip or memory.

I have seen several old posts about this issue with gigabyte motherboards but they all ask you to do stuff that requires the system to be working with net access (updating bios etc.). I have tried the memory chips in single and double with both sets of memory slots. Going to try tearing everything back down and remove the cpu chip and the bios battery for half hour and rebuild to see if it clears up.
a c 411 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 3, 2012 8:56:12 PM

Can you get into BIOS set up by tapping the DEL key at boot? Or won't it let you even get that far?
m
l
a c 464 V Motherboard
a c 85 } Memory
July 3, 2012 9:24:18 PM

unplug the data cable to the hard drive and dvd rom if one of them is bad it can hang the mb. also use the clear the cmos jumper if the board used you dont know what it set for.
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2012 3:34:39 AM

clutch the boot screen is the bios screen for a gigabyte board. My problem is none of the functions work to do anything at the bios screen. and their is no cmos jumper but uses a special button which i have tried twice to get back to the default setup and still nothing. I am back from work now and hopefully stripping down and pulling the battery will work.
m
l
a c 411 V Motherboard
a b } Memory
July 4, 2012 3:46:40 AM

jsouth73507 said:
clutch the boot screen is the bios screen for a gigabyte board. My problem is none of the functions work to do anything at the bios screen. and their is no cmos jumper but uses a special button which i have tried twice to get back to the default setup and still nothing. I am back from work now and hopefully stripping down and pulling the battery will work.

The bootup screen is not the same as the BIOS setup screen. Are you saying the machine goes into Bios setup?
m
l
July 4, 2012 4:12:09 AM

Gigabyte boards load the bios screen by default so it is the same thing as the boot screen for my motherboard.

I pulled everything, including the cpu and the cmos battery and let it set while i was at work (i also used the clear cmos button, it has no jumpre for it). Came back and placed it all back and still nothing. The most i get is asking wether to load the last known good settings or the default and i have tried both. I still cannot get past the bios screen. None of the selections will work. I am going to try scrounging up a ps2 keyboard and try it, other than that i have no ideas.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 4:10:00 PM

This occassionally occurs if a change has occurred (like reseating ram or some sort of adjustment inside the casing to a component) so if the PC boots into bios screen then all you have to do is Save and exit. Let it boot to desktop, wait till all has loaded then shut down. Wait a minute then boot up. It should go straight to desktop.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2012 4:17:56 PM

Phenom II X2 555

According to the motherboard specifications the ram supported -
4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note 1)
Dual channel memory architecture
Support for DDR3 1866(OC)(Note 2)/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
Support for ECC memory modules (Note 3)

As you are using 4gb corsair 1600mhz DDR3 x2 there could be some sort of conflict.

Always check the motherboard specs prior to acquiring ram modules.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
m
l
!