Gtx 590 bottlenecked by motherboard?

nickiboy

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I recently purchchased an asus gtx 590 and installed it into my system. Unfortunatly after running some benchamrks and playing some games ive come to realize that it is definatly not performing to its fullest potential. :??: Around 20ish less fps on the demanding games like crysis, just cause, metro while games like hawx2, battlefield2 are getting 50+ less. I was wondering if my motherboard could be causing the problem as I cannot imagine the other components would be causing the problem..
This is the board http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=K10N78D plus
4 gigs of ram
phenom x4 965
700w psu

I cant decide whether i may have a defective card or not, please help me out

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Yes, Phenom IIs are not as fast as Nehalems or Sandy Bridges. They've been proved to hold back performance in many games:
CPU_01.png

nickiboy

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
do you think that thats the case with many games or does crysis 2 happen to be especially intel friendly?? Any site where i can look at more of those kinds of graphs?? And why is the amd quad so much slower then intel's??

Cooldarkfusion

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
its more about the efficiency in design rather then pure cycles per second. intel's nehalem handles memory quicker among other things. i have a 3.0 with only two gtx 460 sli and if i don't clock my cpu i7 to 3.8, you notice a loss of 20 or more frames pre second along with increased latency to/from memory. no need to melt the cpu just go as high as you can with the max recomended voltage on the box.