Thermal Paste Screwed my CPU?

Ahelpinghand

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
So I know I'm probably screwed here xD but i'll give it a shot.

So I took apart everything for my new computer parts, motherboard video card, ram, etc. I also got new thermal paste because I actually had none on my H50 for some time (Yes I know that's bad), I never put thermal paste on before, I ended up putting on ALLOT and I clicked it in and put the H50 on. The computer didn't boot, (I also did memory config wrong so it wouldn't have booted anyway). So I took it out, and the thermal paste was dripping over the sides and into pins a bit, the processor actually came out when I pulled the cooler off because it stuck to it. I don't really know what to do at this point, although I'm supposing it's done for.

The Thermal Compound was Dynex
Processor is Phenom 965 3.4ghz

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
The CPU should not come out with the cooler no matter how much paste there is on it... you sure it was locked down all the way?

Clean it off good (alcohol does a number on thermal paste) and try again.

Ahelpinghand

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
As I was wiping off the Thermal compound I noticed 1 pin had kink in it. So it's bent in a way that when you stand it up straight it's on an angle, I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to put it in place with a mechanical pencil

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
neadly nose plyers and be VERY carefull, however Blackhawk is correct thier is a retaining lever you push down to stop the CPU from moving, if that is it place correclty, it is impossible to pull the cpu out of the scoket without literally pull the entire thing off the mb, clean with alchol (nail polish remover works) and resink, literally dont worry abouve using a HSF, just place it and turn it on, if it even remotly gets close to booting problem fixed, apply TIM and HSF.

It is likly tho, u balls it up sorry dude

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
If a pin's bent it likely never seated in the socket (unless you bent it whilst cleaning :lol: sorry not funny) but that would explain it coming out with the HSF.
Mech pencil usually works for me, try the 0.5mm ones...

This may all be in vain if you shorted the chip out with TIM but let's hope it just wasn't seated.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

Thanks Christian,
Now I have a use for that package of coffee filters that have been sitting in my cupboards since I switched to the French Press method.