Raziel123

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
So today I burrowed through my room and threw a few old stuff away to get a little space and i found an old ASUS m2npv-vm motherboard with a AMD 64 X2 CPU. It's not that ancient so I thought using it as a second PC in my house. I inserted 2 never used KINGSTON RAM sticks, DDR2, each with 1 GB to try it out. I connected a 100% working PSU and placed it on a dry wooden plate so there are no short circuits. The problem is:
When started, the coolers work start, but nothing on the display... I remove the CPU cooler to see if it's warm (it was on for 10 minutes so it had to be warm) but it was cold as a rock. I started it again without the cooler and same again, cool. (well not cool for me :p ). So folks, heres my question: How can I tell if the CPU is dead or the motherboard? EVERY other component is tested and 100% working!

hairystuff

Distinguished
connect a pc speaker to the speaker motherboard terminals, check to hear the beeps (1 quick beep is normal, 2 quick beeps are usually cmos battery, long beeps are usually ram (might be different on your board)), if the motherboard powers ups as soon as power is applied its most likely the board is cooked, also remove the cpu and see if it powers up the psu and fans, if it does then its likely the board is the culpret.

Raziel123

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Thx for the quick reply,

I connected a speaker to the motherboard, CPU with cooler, RAM, and PSU, nothing more. Still no sign of life except the coolers and a LED Diode wich goes on when the PSU is connected and turned on. No beeps with and without RAM.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

If it does not beep without ram Id say its the board, can you take the cpu to a computer shop and get them to test it for you?

Chirag Borawake

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

There is no need of the speakers to hear to the beeps of faulty hardware. There's already a small speaker on every MoBo.

Raziel123

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
ok here are some pics of the motherboard so you can see it's literally on bare bones.

b7avqa.jpg

2mwtb47.jpg

and after some time i noticed this...

15rgja1.jpg

and a update. I found out that this motherboard was from my brothers old pc and he told me that in the last few days he used it the pc started hardly. He had to turn it on and off for some time till it finally would show the bios screen and start. And after even that failed he replaced the motherboard with the CPU and that's how the mb landed in my hands. So If this symptoms (hard starting) sound familiar to you please reply.

Hard to tell from you're pics but i would suspect some faulty caps.
If any of the tops aren't flat they're toast.
Kinda looks like two near you cpu could be bulged at the top.
I can't tell for sure though.

Raziel123

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
yes i suspected that too...
Some of them look a bit fishy but they're not as bulging as the ones i usually see on dead motherboards so i wasn't quite sure. I bought a cheap motherboard online and will try the CPU out. Thx all for replying to my thread.

Raziel123

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Well on the first pic it looks a bit more than in reality because of the cam angle :p
but yeah i guess it's them. The new mb is shipping next week so guess I'll wait for it.