What size power supply would you recomend for this setup?

samhain

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Hello, I'm looking to buy a new Power Supply to replace my recently deceased one. My specs are as follows:

Biostar TA790GX 128m Main board
Athlon64 X2 5200+ OC'ed to 3.10ghz
2 Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 X-fire'd
6 Gb PC26400 Ram
1 DVD-RW drive
1 5400rpm 1.5Tb HD
4 110mm case fans (3 with LEDs)
1 Internal Media Card reader

I tried the Newegg PSU calculator but it didn't have my GPU's listed. My PSU was a 650w but it died a week after I upgraded to the dual graphics cards from a Geforce 8800gs.

eleclerc

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
good brand had also poor quality PSU. Check out for A-PFC (80+), switching PSU are build to use 20% to 85% of his max power on each output. Also, capacitor aging after 2-3 years is to considerate.

A good 500W PSU do the job.

samhain

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Thanks for the great replies. I do have a background in electronics, so I do know that a PSU rated higher than what I need is OK seeing as how my PC components, as with any electronic device, only use what power they need.

What are some opinions here about PSU's made by PC Power and Cooling?
This is the PSU I am looking at getting:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703026

I have done tons of research, and this company (and their PSU) seems awesome. This supply comes with a 7-YEAR warranty. I have chose the 650-watt because I love having the headroom to upgrade and will be doing so soon. You may be asking yourselves why I came here to ask a wattage question if I had already chosen a 650-watt supply, right? It's simple. I wanted to confirm my suspicions that 650-watts was indeed enough power for my rig and that my old PSU was just a crappy supply.....or was it? I bought it back in 2009 and I almost NEVER turn my PC off, which could suggest that my old PSU wasn't that bad? This is was my first PC build so I don't know what an average PSU lifespan is.

Anyway, this is why I need a very tough PSU, hence why I am entertaining the idea of purchasing a supply with such an extended warranty. I don't turn off my PC. The only breaks my PSU gets is during the very short time it is off during a reboot. LOL.

Also, I would like to hear if anyone has any experience with the warranty service with this company.