MSI 9800 GT Broken Fan?

Shepard18

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Hi all

I'm currently using my old 9800 GT, while I wait for EVGA to replace my GTX 460 for the second time.

Before I bought my GTX 460, my 9800 GT's fan started making strange sounds - onscreen there were no issues - but I think that some component has broken or become worn down within the fan unit.

Can I replace the fan? I tried unscrewing it from the heat sink, but the screws were impossible to loosen.

Any advice?

Get a screwdriver with a smaller head and that will go far in helping you there second the fan can be easily fixed. Is this a reference card or one with a lower quality cooler that the 9800gt is well known for?

Shepard18

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Hi nforce4max,

My card is the N9800GT T2D512-OC - a reference card. I found a smaller screwdriver, but these screws will not budge - I'm afraid of pulling out the electric screwdriver, but what other choice to I have?

Your hands are good enough with a normal screwdriver unless broken. All you need is a screwdriver with the right head and theycome out with ease. That is not a reference card btw. Are the heads stripped?

Shepard18

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
No, the heads are not stripped, they're just impossible to get out. I possess considerable strength in my hands - as does my father. The screws just wont budge at all.

Where can i get a replacement fan?

Just working on it, a good grip is nice but you need tork and the only problem using a electric drill/screwdriver is you might do some damage if there are any mistakes. As for the fan you can in fact repair it at no costs unless broken fin(s). WD40 or motor oil and a qtip on the bearing will do the job. Once the fan is removed peal the sticker on the back and apply the oil then turning it a few times and you are done. It shouldn't make clicking noises at that point. If shot then just upgrade the cooler, zalman vf900/1000 work but very expensive but I wouldn't recommend them if I didn't already own them. There are less expensive coolers out there to choose from.

Shepard18

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
Tried unscrewing the fan's screws last and WHAM! the fan popped clean off! I looked inside and saw that the small circle that holds the fan to its base was cracked and breaking apart.

Where I can I get another fan, any suggestions? Or do I have to replace the entire heatsink?

You got two choices one is a whole new cooler which is a Lot easier and simple while you can buy a normal fan of the same diameter. Cut the base and drill the plastic to reuse the same screws to mount on to the same cooler. However that does require some skill so I suggest a new cooler.

Shepard18

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
I've decided to replace the heatsink of the card. The Zalman VF950 LED looks to be pretty decent - has anyone tried it on a 9800GT?