Phoenix D686 Beep Code Mystery

DJGray

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2012
Greetings all!

I have an older Abit AX8 mobo with a Phoenix D686 BIOS that I'm trying to make use of. All is installed and seemingly ready to go. On power-up, I get a beep code of Long, Short, Short, Short. This does not correspond to ANY Phoenix beep code sequence I can find online. Does anyone here have great insight into what that beep code is telling me?

I know it's a Phoenix D686 because it says so right on top of the chip. Nonetheless, since this beep code corresponds to a video error for an Award BIOS, I swapped the video card with a working card from another machine. Still no joy. Tried both a PCI and a PCIe card. Same beep code.

I've stripped the mobo down to a single stick of ram and nothing else. No change in the beep code.

I appreciate any help that can be offered. I'm stumped!

DJGray

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2012
Hmmm, that's a possibility. So, you're saying it could be a "Phoenix" label with an "Award" beep code, in which case the Long Short Short Short is complaining of a video issue. For the moment, I've put an Asus mobo in this box and will continue to set it up, but I'd like to get this Abit board going as well. Will continue to troubleshoot it this weekend.

Thanks for the reply Pinhedd.

Possibly. I wouldn't be able to tell for sure. The actual label on the chip doesn't mean anything. All that chip is is an EEPROM which stores arbitrary data which just happens to be whatever firmware program the motherboard manufacturer puts on it. It could be Award, Pheonix, Pheonix/Award, AMIBios, or new UEFI implementations of each. Motherboard manufacturers then take these and modify them [poorly] to suit their hardware. PC BIOS and UEFI are just two standards which do not specify an exact implementation, that much is left up to the manufacturers.