Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ivy bridge 2011 or 1155? For the last time

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 10, 2011 9:57:00 PM

I have read in multiple places it will be socket 2011, and socket 1155, can anyone confirm this?

I am buying the GA x79 UD5 MOBO in november, and would like to know what to expect.

I plan to get sandy E 3930k and hopefully upgrade to ivy bridge if worth it.
a c 473 à CPUs
October 10, 2011 11:23:35 PM

Ivy Bridge is socket 1155.

Sandy Bridge-E is socket 2011.
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
October 10, 2011 11:28:39 PM

I believe clock for clock, Ivy Bridge is only going to be 6% - 10% faster than the current Sandy Bridge CPU.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 10, 2011 11:35:33 PM

jaguarskx said:
Ivy Bridge is socket 1155.

Sandy Bridge-E is socket 2011.


Exactly.. Beat me to it.. I hope Intel makes an Ivy Bridge-E.. The overclocking of the Ivy Bridge processors will yield higher clocks because of the less heat crated and the 22nm process.
m
0
l
October 11, 2011 12:53:24 AM

So socket 2011 will be obsolete? The x79 ud5 will ONLY support sandy e?
m
0
l
October 11, 2011 1:15:29 AM

illumm said:
So socket 2011 will be obsolete? The x79 ud5 will ONLY support sandy e?



Only if you don't want to pay more then 500$ for a CPU, and yes x79 only support Sandy Bride-E
m
0
l
October 11, 2011 2:47:56 AM

Mastervivi10 said:
Only if you don't want to pay more then 500$ for a CPU, and yes x79 only support Sandy Bride-E


For now, I hope.. Intel really needs to stop the whole socket switch thing.. 2011 pins is enough for a little while.. Right?
m
0
l
October 11, 2011 3:27:44 AM

Hmm touch decision.

I'm thinking the 3930k for now, but am affraid a 6 core ivy bridge will be released and stomp my Sandy E, with much better OC'ing.

There may be a bios update for the 1155, or is that not possible
m
0
l
a c 473 à CPUs
October 11, 2011 3:40:56 AM

What are you going to use your computer for?

In case you didn't know, games do no use more than 4 cores.
m
0
l
a c 127 à CPUs
October 11, 2011 4:36:01 AM

Mastervivi10 said:
Only if you don't want to pay more then 500$ for a CPU, and yes x79 only support Sandy Bride-E


Not quite. The lowest end, which is a quad, will be $294 for $1Ku tray prices.
m
0
l
October 11, 2011 5:24:26 AM

Audio/Video production

I think the hex core 3930k for 500 is well worth it, it will beat the 990x, even if it's slightly, and it is 500 dollars cheaper..

The problem is this mobo, it's only dedicated to Sandy E, which sucks, so I can't upgrade in the future.

m
0
l
October 11, 2011 10:19:43 PM

illumm said:
Audio/Video production

I think the hex core 3930k for 500 is well worth it, it will beat the 990x, even if it's slightly, and it is 500 dollars cheaper..

The problem is this mobo, it's only dedicated to Sandy E, which sucks, so I can't upgrade in the future.


For now.. If Intel makes an Ivy Bridge E it should use the same socket. Its just a 22nm shrink with different transistors (tri-gate).
m
0
l
October 14, 2011 4:57:00 AM

So then most likely I can upgrade to an 8 core ivy bridge with the x79, full compatibility.


Also has it been confirmed yet that the 3930k is NOT usb 3.0 or pcie 3?
m
0
l
!