Sign in with
Your question

Water Cooling in HAF X?

Last response: in Components
October 10, 2011 10:33:30 PM

How would I go about water cooling
3 way sli EVGA gtx 580's

http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=03G-P3-159...

with a H100 radiator cooling the CPU already installed in the case?

More about : water cooling haf

October 11, 2011 12:10:03 AM

If you want GPU watercooling, you might as well take that h100 out because the water cooler you will install will want to go through everything. Idk, how you want to plan this, it's your choice. But basically a watercooler is just pipe, a radiator, a bay or reservoir, fittings, and a pump. You have to figure out what you want to do with those. Don't forget your graphics card bases.

If you want the plan with just the GPU cooling, with the h100 still there, it's possible. There can't be really any explanation of how to do it, but all I can say is that you want pipes connected to your reservoir or bay, a pump, and they connect in a circuit going through your copper or w/e bases on your graphics cards.
m
l
October 11, 2011 12:11:34 AM

I forgot to tell you to keep in mind about delta fans. They are extremely loud fans, and if you need a quiet pc, avoid delta fans to your watercooler.
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2011 7:11:56 PM

if you want a water cooling solution for GTX 580s you might want to look at PNY for your graphics cards.
they manufacture the GTX 580 with the water cooling system pre-attached. you just have to have a 120mm fan space avaialbe.
witch you do at the back of your case.

your other option would be to make holes on the side panel of the the half x case for 2 more if you are wanting too 3-way sli.
here is a link to the card I am talking about on newegg.com
this one is from Zotac.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
this one has a cpu cooler build in as well from PNY.
this one is just the single radiator from PNY.

the PNY cards I mentioned above were just used in a system build by Tom's Hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/microatx-gaming-ove...

All the water cooled cards I sugested are closed loop so you do not have to run your onw pipes and hoses and create a system that has the potential to leak.

I know these water cooled solutions are viable but you have to find space to mount the radiators and fans in the case witch will be hard with the h100 radiator already installed, but the PNY one that also has a water cooler for the CPU worked great for the Tom's Hardware team.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 11, 2011 8:11:41 PM

For the CPU the H100 is fine while for the GPUs you need a good 3x120 radiator or 4x120 radiator.

If you don't have the case yet, I suggest you go with a Corsair 800D since this have more space for radiators.

@madtech01: Please follow the user's link, EVGA was the 1st company in release GPUs with waterblocks pre-installed and those are the current GPUs of the user.
m
l
October 11, 2011 8:23:36 PM

just making a suggestion because it does not state that the person has purchased the cards yet.
and I know EVGA was the first to release a GPU with a water block attached.
I was just suggesting some cards that had the radiator and hoses already attached so he did not have to plumb his system himself.
m
l
June 25, 2012 7:04:02 AM

He doesn't need a new case. HAF X is more than enough. if he doesn't have space, he can get those rad holders to put them externally.
m
l
a c 111 ) Power supply
June 25, 2012 7:08:03 AM

Why don't you have the CPU and GPU's in a single loop?
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 25, 2012 7:25:28 AM

**he can get those rad holders to put them externally**
If he gets the allinone coolers like you suggested,
He'll need to cut holes in the case to feed the rads through then, or cut the pipes and feed those through, highly impractical and probably not something someone who buys allinones would be prepared to try,

@Op, read the W/c sticky up top, ditch the H100 preferably or just do a loop for the 3 cards, but do not spend so much money on allinones that you could have built a damn good loop instead, and got better results
for the hydro coppers linked, you would need a pump, tubing, some fittings and radiatorspace, and a reservoir would make life easier although you don't need to include one if you put T-lines in for filling/draining
assuming you would want to overclock the cards I'd suggest 240 of space for each card so 3x240 rads, 2x360 rads or a 360+240 would see you right but read the sticky and post back your intentions, we'll see you right :) 
Moto
m
l
June 25, 2012 7:51:44 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
**he can get those rad holders to put them externally**

He'll need to cut holes in the case to feed the rads through then, or cut the pipes and feed those through, highly impractical and probably not something someone who buys allinones would be prepared to try,

@Op, read the W/c sticky up top, ditch the H100 preferably or just do a loop for the 3 cards, but do not spend so much money on allinones that you could have built a damn good loop instead, and got better results
for the hydro coppers linked, you would need a pump, tubing, some fittings and radiatorspace, and a reservoir would make life easier although you don't need to include one if you put T-lines in for filling/draining
assuming you would want to overclock the cards I'd suggest 240 of space for each card so 3x240 rads, 2x360 rads or a 360+240 would see you right but read the sticky and post back your intentions, we'll see you right :) 
Moto

idk what you mean. HAF X has gromets and I am just saying if you need more space, use rad clips, it's like this. You don't need to cut any holes for tubing or the holder.

This is on a haf 932
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=391912&mpage=1&pri...

The rad is mounted externally on the back, being held by one of those mounted radiator clips or holders. He just used the back fan mount holes to screw the holder in. No holes need to be cut here.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 25, 2012 8:52:17 AM

Thats a custom loop, not an allinone, and its similar to how one of my rads is mounted, although mines on top of my case
I may have misinterpreted your comment of mounting the H100/Pny ones,
it reads to me that you suggested mounting the rads from those externally, which puts Op in the situation I mentioned,
on a custom loop ofc you can mount the rads wherever you like, even in an external radbox so they aren't in or on the case at all
Moto
m
l
June 26, 2012 9:37:36 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Thats a custom loop, not an allinone, and its similar to how one of my rads is mounted, although mines on top of my case
I may have misinterpreted your comment of mounting the H100/Pny ones,
it reads to me that you suggested mounting the rads from those externally, which puts Op in the situation I mentioned,
on a custom loop ofc you can mount the rads wherever you like, even in an external radbox so they aren't in or on the case at all
Moto

I assumed he's talking about custom loop because he isn't getting those pny things, he's getting graphics cards with only the waterblock, ready for custom watercooling.
m
l
a c 104 ) Power supply
June 26, 2012 3:32:30 PM

Yup, thats whats linked but as you mentioned, he doesn't say if he has those or is just looking to buy them,
I edited my post to reflect :) 
without any further input from him though I reckon its just you and me chatting in here, and I'm all for the all out custom loop myself :) 
Moto
m
l
!