Sign in with
Your question

Windows freezing on startup

Last response: in Motherboards
July 4, 2012 1:43:01 AM

A month or so ago, my computer was damaged by lightning. I thought it only damaged the power supply, but I suppose I was wrong. I RMA'd the psu, the gpu, and the CPU. I did this because this is th second time it had been damaged, but the CPU an gpu were still functional afterwards. I rma'd the motherboard the first time as well, but I don't think that matters.

Now, comes the main problem, and the most confusing. I just got in all my parts today, the only not new things are the hard drive, ram, and the mobo. I've had this problem before, but not in the way I'm having it right now. When I start the computer, it usually gives off a single beep signifying something about quick boot. Now, about half the time when I try to boot it will start the fans, but it will not beep or even send any signal to the monitor. The other half of the time, it will begin to boot but will freeze at inconsistent times, ranging from selecting which mode to boot in to the welcome screen. I have not gotten to the desk top yet, bit when it reaches the welcome screen I can move my mouse for a moment then it will freeze.

I'm thinking that the mobo is the problem, and maybe the ram. I'm not sure about the hard drive, it seems to be working.

Edit: Just got it to boot to desktop. It ran like normal for about a minute, then blue screened with the error: driver iql not less or equal (or something close to that, I only saw it for a moment)
After the first time the lightning damaged it, it began to give this error as well. I guess i didn't fix it.
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 4, 2012 2:01:48 AM

i would do a test on each of the drive with is maker tool the ram with memtest and the board with another ram sticks and drive,lighthing could have burn something
m
l
July 4, 2012 6:37:43 AM

I'm afraid to say I don't have the materials to do those at this moment. However, I will admit I've had problems the entire time that I've had this computer. Think it may be a compatibility issue?

Mobo: Asus M4A78t-E
GPU: EVGA GTX 460 1GB (Fermi if I remember correctly)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 2.8Ghz Quad Core
PSU: Zephyr MX 750 750W
RAM: 2GB ADATA XPG DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (x2)
Hard Drive: WDC WD3200AKS

When it boots to desktop, as well, if you don't open or close any programs and keep moving the mouse, it will run for a pretty good while before freezing. It doesn't blue screen, it just freezes.
m
l
Related resources
July 6, 2012 3:20:07 AM

I'm currently trying to get things so I can run the memtest and update the bios, but I noticed something while in the BIOS. My Primary IDE isn't set to my hard drive, it's set to my disk drive. When I unplug the disk drive, it says not detected. My hard drive is plugged into SATA 1, but I've tried moving it from 1-5. It detects that its in whichever SATA, but it won't put it as the master IDE.
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 6, 2012 6:58:57 PM

sata in port one is right ,sata not showing master or slave only ide drive does put the hdd in first boot in your bios and the ddrive as second boot that should work ,to avoid this issue i bought a sata ddrive and plug it in sata 2,bios update is made directly in windows using the asus update version 7.18.03 in the utility then dowload the latest bios to the desktop and update from there
m
l
July 7, 2012 8:59:40 AM

I got a flash drive and updated the bios from there. I'm trying to run the memtest but it's having trouble booting from the flash. And also, no matter what I try it will not set the master to the HDD. It's always the CD drive, and if the CD drive isn't plugged in it's nothing.

I updated the bios, though.
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 7, 2012 8:01:07 PM

does you hdd is ide drive or sata one same details for cd drive they are set up in the bios for first boot and detect see the motherboard user manual to set them
m
l
July 7, 2012 10:47:40 PM

My hdd is a SATA and my CD is an IDE. The boot order is
1: Floppy
2: HDD
3: CD Drive
I think that's default. It still selects the CD Drive over the HDD, though, even when I switch it to #1.

I think my mobo was damaged by the lightning, maybe my HDD as well. Hopefully I'll have someone else to help test my things in a few days, they're on vacation. Also, after I updated the bios, it won't stay on desktop nearly as long as it would. It will blue screen with one of two errors:
Driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal
Page_fault_in_non_paged_area

I've had these problems in the past. I'm not sure why, as I never really fixed it, only lightened it by buying new RAM and a new HDD. The common denominator when I had those problems back then and these problems now are a lightning-stricken mobo and my disk drive. I haven't replaced it once. I think I'm going to buy a new Mobo and disk drive and see if that fixes it.
m
l
!