3D Gaming for cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Hi everyone.

I currently have a mid-high end Gaming rig and want to convert to 3D gaming. I looked at Nvidia's 3D Vision which is about 150$ but I'd also need a 3D monitor to follow.

That's all I know. My current monitor is about 24" and would like to stick to about the same screen size with no less than 1080p as resolution (Mine is 1900x1200 @ 24").

1 - I wish I could find good benchmarks to see how 3D gaming would impact my performance.

2 - I need to know which monitors you guys would recommend and why. Also if you happen to know places where I might get 'em for cheaper, by all mean reply to this thread.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Solution
1 - It's half of your norman framerate for the most part. Some newer games seem to do better, like Crysis 2 you still get about 2/3s the normal frame rate, but for the most part it's pretty close to 50%.

2 - I found a used ViewSonic 3d monitor (1680x1050) for $150 bucks on Amazon marketplace. You can find good deals on used ones there and on Ebay sometimes. My advise is do your research and decide on a particular model or models (there aren't many to choose from at this point) and then just do a search on Amazon and on Ebay for that particular model over a period of time and see what pops up, thats the ony way you're going to find a 3D monitor on the cheap, there just aren't any cheap ones made so you have to find a motivated seller...

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
1 - It's half of your norman framerate for the most part. Some newer games seem to do better, like Crysis 2 you still get about 2/3s the normal frame rate, but for the most part it's pretty close to 50%.

2 - I found a used ViewSonic 3d monitor (1680x1050) for $150 bucks on Amazon marketplace. You can find good deals on used ones there and on Ebay sometimes. My advise is do your research and decide on a particular model or models (there aren't many to choose from at this point) and then just do a search on Amazon and on Ebay for that particular model over a period of time and see what pops up, thats the ony way you're going to find a 3D monitor on the cheap, there just aren't any cheap ones made so you have to find a motivated seller looking to get rid of one quickly for less than it's worth.

Solution

c0oim4n

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Even if you didn't want to spend money on a new monitor AND Nvidia 3D vision kit, I'd suggest just buying a pair of red/cyan 3D glasses off ebay... I got a very good pair with a plastic frame, etc for only $1.50, and if you don't mind occasional red artifacts appearing

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

It's a good deal but after playing 1920x1200...it's hard to go back to much lower resolutions (projectors).

Here's what I found (the deal finishes today).

Screen (23.6"): $333 @ http://ncix.com/products/?sku=56593&vpn=XL2410T&manufacture=BenQ&promoid=1097

3D Vision Kit: $150 @ http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59699&vpn=942%2D10701%2D0005%2D201&manufacture=NVIDIA

It's the best price I've found so far (for a screen)...but I can't find any deals for 3D Vision...blah.

Unless I find something else within the next few hours, that's what I'm going for...

Status
Not open for further replies.