Help please

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Hello. I came across a thread on. http://www.****/default/content.php?contentFolder=toshiba&contentSubFolder=l500&contentid=graphics-card About a graphics upgrade in my laptop. it currently has intel intergrated graphics, but after reading this site i found out that you can upgrade it. i dont mean replacing the intergrated one but rather, adding one. is this possible, i didnt know laptops could upgrade the GPU. and if so what would be the best graphics card to go with. one thing i noticed was it said satellite, mine is a satellite pro l500 psls1a-022002 version and the site did not specify the exact model so im guesing all l500's can be upgraded? And if it is possible will i get better fram rates in gaming, because it is a GPU with its own memory not using main system RAM. If not is there any possible ways to speed up the intel GPU? I would like better frame rates in games because i like playing GTA 4 and Crysis on my desktop but it is barely keeping up with it i only get 15 fps max on low settings and 12 max with this laptop LMAO. Thanks in advance for any help.

Only some laptops have a module that can be removed. Such laptops are pretty rare and even then they need to have an MXM or less popular AXIOM slot. Not only that, but the cooling assembly needs to be able to handle your chosen GPU. Basically you can't expect a cooling solution supporting a GT330, that might take up to a 360, to be able to cope with cooling demands of a mobile GTX285 or 480.

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

Ok thank you. How would i be able to find out if this computer has an MXM or AXIOM? I have tried to find info on the KSWAA motherboard but haven't been
able to find much except RAM limits and BUS speeds. I will select you're answer as best i just a little help with stuff like this lol.

Have you contacted Toshiba about this?

I don't see any video options on your model http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&toshibaShop=false&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=1076041#0

the only video listed is the Intel video. No way to speed it up. If the video card was upgradable the vendor would have probably listed them as optional at least. With laptops if you are buying for games, make sure you do some reasearch as to the right one to get. Way too many people spend a bunch of money on a laptop to find out it does not do what they want it to. Then there is no way out except to buy a new one.

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

This is not my laptop. I have the psls1a-022002 version of the l500. although the specs are pretty much the same apart from the CPU. Im just trying to find out wheather or not it has a MXM or AXIOM slot in the MOBO not a Actual GPU in it right now. I looked all over the net but no luck. I will probably just have to Phone Toshiba and ask them about it? or would Phoning intel be better for info on the MOBO?

thanks

I'd start with Toshiba first. Even if the motherboard has or can have a video slot, does not mean that it is enabled or installed in the Toshiba version. Most hardware vendors such as Intel or video chip makers, pass support of the laptop to the vendor.