Your question

Graphics card dying????

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2011 9:24:26 PM

can my graphic card make my pc fail to start?

Well, long story.. 1st I get these weird lines across my monitor, if I'm on my desktop they're colorful, at startup, they're black.. My pc just started doing this out of the blue about 2 days ago. Sometimes it will boot normally, I go to my desktop, & it looks normal. Then at any random time, the screen gets a pixelated looking & freezes up! Pc then goes to blue screen, when its done it reboots, at the startup screen the lines are still there usually 2 times, after 2 reboots in a row that the pc does on its own. Then after 2 or 3 times, it'll come on & look normal... Now, twice so far, my pc has failed to start & ran startup repair!! I can choose to start normally, or do the startup repair, which I did twice, & it didnt report anything to me. When it does finally boot normally, it says it wasnt shut down correctly, & gives the options of starting normal, safe mode, etc.... I have pretty much figured that if I log on normally, in due time it will fail again. When I go to safe mode, there are still 2 colorful vertical lines about an inch wide on the screen, but at least I can try to figure out something!!!! Not 2 solid lines, but 2 thick lines made up of a bunch of thin lines.. I sound crazy, yes, cuz this is driving me insane! It seems like a graphics problem, obviously, but I didnt know a graphics problem could make my pc not start ?? I thought it was my cards driver, so I went & updated that.. I also hooked my pc up to my lcd tv, & it was the same, so its not the monitor...... Any ideas anyone??

More about : graphics card dying

a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2011 9:56:45 PM

It is possibly the PSU that has caused the original problem. Make sure it is putting out the correct and stable voltage. As for the wider symptoms such as the screen displaying lines it sounds like your GPU RAM is damaged and failing. Swap the card out to be sure but check out that PSU first. It is important you do so.
m
l
May 2, 2011 10:08:42 PM

Wamphryi said:
It is possibly the PSU that has caused the original problem. Make sure it is putting out the correct and stable voltage. As for the wider symptoms such as the screen displaying lines it sounds like your GPU RAM is damaged and failing. Swap the card out to be sure but check out that PSU first. It is important you do so.

Ok, let me look into that! I do have a pc that I think needs a bigger tower for cooling, & a better power supply considering what I have in it. Also, I have 8 gigs of RAM, but its saying I have 4! Just noticed that today as well...

OH! Wait.. My power supply is functioning correctly I'm sure, it hasnt burst into flames! But it is 360watts, & I have intel i7 920, so I dont know if the watts are sufficient. My graphics card is ATI Radeon 4850, I think I have a powerful machine in a small case, & that plays a major role due to cooling. But I read somewhere that the power supply should be ok! I'm buying a bigger tower, but I dont want my pc to die in the meantime....
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2011 10:21:58 PM

If you have an i7 920 with a 4850 , 360 watts is NOT enough, not even close. Get a 500+ watt psu at least. I would suggest a 550 watt good quality psu (corsair, OCZ, antec etc)

m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 2, 2011 11:00:41 PM

Dude that PSU is way under powered. Under Powering your system is a good way to fry various components. You need a good powerful heavy duty PSU. The configuration you have stated there requires more like 650 watts at the least.
m
l
May 3, 2011 1:14:49 AM

Thanks to you both.. I guess a new PSU is in order! Those Corsair PSUs look like they're top quality, I was looking at the Professional Series™ Gold AX750 — 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully-Modular Power Supply its 750 watts, is that overkill? Can it hurt to get too many watts?! I am a Gamer, & play everything from the sims 3, to fallout new vegas, to aoe III, & much more, I want something that will last.. Something that can handle those games, plus any new ones I may get, & everything else in general.
m
l
a c 177 U Graphics card
May 3, 2011 4:28:55 AM

the 750w psu is overkill but no it will not hurt. at least you will be future proofed if you want to upgrade to dual gfx cards or something in the future. a 750w is not that much more money than a 650 or 550w anyway. you could also look for a PSU from Seasonic (they actually make most corsair psu's)
m
l
!