DSL reseller DEMANDS home address!

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
I am siging on with dslextreme, a local dsl reseller. They demand my physical site residence address altho they already have my telephone number, drivers license, etc. Why do they need my home address? Is it for security reasons or to match the phone number? Is this a std protocol for DSL resellers? Thanks.

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They need the address so they can determine how far is your house from their CO. Most Telcos limit ADSL lines to 15,000 ft from the CO

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
dslextreme used my tele no to check the distance to the CO.
They can ship to my mailing box just as easily. I am billed by email so they dont need to mail to me. Go figure why they demand my residence address!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
because its a business and business' like to have information like that so they can send you threatening letters in the mail. its probly a requirement that they send actual letters if your account is way over due before they can send the case to a collections agency.

this is my boomstick!

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
I don't see the problem here. Try typing your phone number into google. You gave them your phone number so they basicly have your address unless the number is unlisted. Even then this still might work.

rigit

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
What have you bought online or over the phone that didn't require you to give an address? lol.
If I was going after dsl I would give anything they asked for to get it as fast as possible :) There is no way I could live w/o broadband.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

cogito

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
It's probably just something that they consider to be a normal part of the records that they maintain on each of their customers. It's their business and they can ask you for any kind of information that they want. You don't have to give it to them, but then they don't have to do business with you either.

Also, if you had problems with the DSL service they might need to send a technician out to check your wiring. I wouldn't worry about it, if they have your phone number they can use it to get your address anyway.