Sign in with
Your question

Need a little help!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 11, 2011 4:18:16 AM

Hey guys! Rozon here new to the forum!! :sol:  Okay, so I recently realized my i5-2500k has been running at 98 C for the past 4-5 months after some performance issues. So I finally looked into it yesterday and fixed it by applying new Thermal Paste! That fixed that issue so now my second issue is I don't think my computer is running up to par as it should be and am afraid it could be due to the past 4-5 months of the CPU running at High Temps. Could that of affected any other component inside by chance? I ran a benchmark using Heaven and got these results with everything maxed out. I posted a SS below of the result of doing a benchmark in Heaven with all of the programs I use to monitor CPU and GPU temps. I was playing bf3 and didn't seem to run as smooth as it should with my components. I guess my question is how would I go about diagnosing this and is there any help out there for me? Thanks :D 

http://imageshack.us/f/20/unledvdr.png/

I also realized the +12 V seems low and heard that's common when using HW Monitor giving innacurate Voltage readings but not sure.

More about : question

a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 4:44:30 AM

Not sure what to tell you... IF you cooked off the CPU. $$$... Could be some of the capacitors are off as well. Heat, too much, does bad things.

Tear it down and carefully inspect it all. Look at the tops of the capacitors, is there any bulging or stuff on top of them? If so, they have cooked off. Look for discolored areas as well.

Good luck
m
l
October 11, 2011 5:09:30 AM

corroded said:
Not sure what to tell you... IF you cooked off the CPU. $$$... Could be some of the capacitors are off as well. Heat, too much, does bad things.

Tear it down and carefully inspect it all. Look at the tops of the capacitors, is there any bulging or stuff on top of them? If so, they have cooked off. Look for discolored areas as well.

Good luck

Sorry kind of new to all of this, but what do you mean by cooked off the CPU? $$$? Meaning purchasing a new CPU or even Mobo? Where are the capacitors located at?
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2011 5:25:41 AM

BF3 beta runs at 50FPS with high settings @1920x1200 on a GTX 580.So don't expect much from your 560ti.If you had your capacitors fried your computer won't even boot.So relax and try running some other benches..
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 5:26:30 AM

I have an i7-2600k, OC'd to 4.0 (at the moment)... I just loaded Heavan and ran it with most of the same parameters that you have... while writing this on the second monitor. I have a lowly AMD HD6850.... Temp wise I see only up to 39C on the CPU cores and 62C on the GPU.

The results with all but your resolution for me are:

FPS: 22.7
Score: 571
min 6.6
max 42.7
So, I would not say there is much wrong from where I am sitting.

Your voltages seem low on the CPUID for the CPU... My i7 is reported @ 1.30V, your at .95V

Cooking off the CPU is just that, running any electronics at or above its set limits ( I believe it is 90C on our CPU's) will cause damage. Did you disable the thermal alarms on the MOBO? Or never look at them?

Capacitors are all over the MoBo. is this your MoBo?
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-GD65.html

The capacitors are the little cycinders wit 1/2 the tops colored a light blue, as seen in the picture on the page.

Oops... I forgot I wqasa running World of Tanks while I was running the benchmark... Dang I really like this i7.... (<<<--edit part)
m
l
October 11, 2011 5:36:58 AM

Thank you guys so much for the quick replies!! I've never looked at the thermal alarms on the Mobo or have any clue where they're located. And yes, that is my Mobo! I will check the capacitors in a second, but like the guy said above, I don't think it would even boot if that was the case but I'm no expert. Yes, I was worried about my voltages aswell, I looked at my +12 and it was at 8.27 in HW Monitor. I will try to figure out how to view it in BIOS tomorrow. Thank you guys so much for the quick replies. Any other help would be appreciated aswell! Thanks!
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 5:40:45 AM

back at sayantan... Capacitors WILL let a system boot up and run, even if they are leaking... I have a hulk in my shop to show it. The system will still boot up and run, once it gets warm it will start acting poorly the shut down. Remember, capacitors regulate voltage flow through the system... changing their characteristics changes how the voltage flows and how the rest of the device behaves.
m
l
October 11, 2011 5:48:57 AM

8.27 V is horribly low.At any case even under full load 12v voltage mustn't drop below 11.4V.It may be that your system is monitoring wrong but you better check it.
m
l
October 11, 2011 5:56:30 AM

Looking at your data, I think your misinterpreting the "max" temp. The T(j) Max reading is the "max" temp your CPU is rated to before your system shuts down to prevent damage.

You max temps during load are ranging from 37-53C which is entirely acceptable IMO.

A faulty/dying PSU can give you fluctuating voltages. Try swapping for another PSU if in doubt.
m
l
October 11, 2011 5:59:46 AM

Thanks Sayan, I def will through Bios tomorrow. Hunuok that was a test from today, I fixed the over heating issue last night. The HW Monitor and Coretemp were both reading 98 C until I applied new thermal paste. Thanks!
m
l
October 11, 2011 6:43:49 AM

Okay, so I looked through BIOS and it checked out my 12v was at 12.144 so I guess HW Monitor was way off. So anything other suggestions or anything? How could I go about testing my CPU or GPU or even Mobo?
m
l
October 11, 2011 7:27:31 AM

okay the voltage you see there is under no load condition.For accurate measurement of voltage under full load I would suggest you to use a multimeter and measure the voltage difference between black and yellow outlets.Be very careful and never never ever touch the two terminals.
Try testing your CPU and GPU under full load simultaneouly.I generally do this by running prime95 stress test along with fur mark in xtreme burning mode.Run memtest64 to stress your memory.
If there are any instabilities it should be exposed.
m
l
October 11, 2011 5:14:19 PM

okay so running BIOS won't put it under any type of load pressure then? Would running a benchmark put it under load? And if so, what numbers would I be looking at? I'm pretty new to the whole voltage thing sorry!
m
l
October 12, 2011 6:42:48 AM

HW monitor should read slightly more than 12v under no load.
Under full load the voltage should be grater than 11.4V but less than 12v.
m
l
October 12, 2011 4:03:08 PM

okay so running MSI Bios mine shows 12.144 so im guessing thats not what it should be?
m
l
October 13, 2011 4:20:41 AM

12.144 in bios is perfectly ok.When you are under your bios there is no load on cpu and gpu ,so a voltage bit higher than 12V is expected.
Your HW monitor should also show almost same voltage under windows when your cpu and gpu are idle(given that HW monitor is functioning correctly).
When you run some benchmarks the voltage should be between 11.4V to12V.
So first check whether your HW monitor is working or not by comparing the voltage shown in bios and HW monitor when system is idle.
m
l
October 13, 2011 3:56:25 PM

well when my system is idle my HW monitor shows 8. something voltage lol but in Bios its the 12.144 so they are def not comparing correctly. Is there another way?
m
l
October 14, 2011 4:01:15 AM

A bios update might fix this issue.Bios updates are important not only for this sort of minor bugs but also for system stability and performance.

m
l
October 14, 2011 7:22:22 AM

Quote:
A bios update might fix this issue.Bios updates are important not only for this sort of minor bugs but also for system stability and performance.

True, BUT I wouldn't recommend this to novices.

I'd hate to hear that someone "bricked" their motherboard during a BIOS update.

Admittedly, it has become easier to flash BIOS, however in general:

1. flash ONLY if you are having stability issues,
2. flash ONLY if you are comfortable doing it.
m
l
October 14, 2011 8:07:18 AM

It is so easy to flash bios nowadays. You can do so even under windows.
Just make sure the power doesn't cut off while doing so.
m
l
!