Updated BIOS still reports high cpu temp

Status
Not open for further replies.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
Hello everyone,

I just completed a basic gaming build with an i5 2400 and an h67 intel mobo. The CPU temp reported by BIOS was 63 C.

Installed the OS and hardware monitor and that reported temps at 32 C idle.

Flashed the BIOS with the latest update and it still reports the same 61 - 62 C

Why is there a diff between HW monitor's readings and BIOS?

I think i have nothing to worry about but curious still

Solution

BIOS runs a busy loop on core #0 while OS puts the CPU in a low-power sleep state between interrupts. BIOS temperatures are effectively full-load single core while the OS is "true" idle.
try speedfan or another program to see if the mb thermal sensor is fine. if the temps still reading hot. check that you have all the cpu legs in where they clicked.make sure you used thermal paste on the kit and removed the plastic cover from the heat sink.

rdc85

Honorable
Usually when boot up (bios) the all the hardware run at it max setting.... so basically what u see is temp under stressed......

try stress your rig and monitor using Hw' monitor see if it came with same temp...

I prefer to trust bios reading than 3rd software since it build/written by the manufacturer.... (hey they know what they make, right?)

satyamdubey

Distinguished

The stock cooler came with a pre applied thermal paste which in some benchmarks scored better than arctic silver...so that is good stuff....all legs clicked into the mobo and sit properly....interestingly, there is very little noise...which sort of indicates that there is not much load on the fans i guess??

InvalidError

Titan

BIOS runs a busy loop on core #0 while OS puts the CPU in a low-power sleep state between interrupts. BIOS temperatures are effectively full-load single core while the OS is "true" idle.

Solution

satyamdubey

Distinguished

wow...never knew that...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.