Renaming digital photo/files

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 14, 2005 3:44:07 PM

Using an Olympus. All the photo/files that I download to my hard drive look
about the same (eg P3140001.JPG). Is there a way to quickly rename the
photo/files so I can tell what they are (eg Birthday1, Birthday2...etc)?

Thanks, Craig
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 5:09:09 PM

"Craig" <jcstone1@comcast.net> writes:

> Using an Olympus. All the photo/files that I download to my hard drive look
> about the same (eg P3140001.JPG). Is there a way to quickly rename the
> photo/files so I can tell what they are (eg Birthday1, Birthday2...etc)?

I'd suggest that in the long run you'll be happier naming them by say
the date they were shot. Otherwise you'll find in 20 years that you
have a LOT of shots named "birthdayxxx", and you have no idea what any
of them are of! With the date, that's at least one solid real-world
point, *and* it makes it easy to find the rest of the photos taken at
about the same time. Also, often a picture is of interest in 20 years
because it's in a particular house, say, or because of peripheral
people in it, as well as because of the main subject.

One of the best things you can do for your future self, your children,
etc., is to fill in the IPTC fields with locations, and identify the
people, and make sure those fields get carried over into edited
versions of the photos. It's the digital equivalent of writing on the
back of the print :-).

There are bunches of file-renaming programs that use patterns you
provide plus information they pull from the files to produce a unique
set of names -- I use Siren File Rename myself. (You can use this to
produce your "birthdayxxx" pattern as well as my date pattern, and
many others too).
March 14, 2005 7:46:45 PM

Craig wrote:
> Using an Olympus. All the photo/files that I download to my hard drive look
> about the same (eg P3140001.JPG). Is there a way to quickly rename the
> photo/files so I can tell what they are (eg Birthday1, Birthday2...etc)?
>
> Thanks, Craig

in windows xp (as you didn't state what OS you are using) select all
files, scroll up to the first file, (while all files are still selected)
right click the first file, scroll to rename, rename the file whatever
you want.file extention. (eg 02-12-05_birthday.jpg) windows will go thru
and name all the files 02-12-05_birthday (1).jpg, 02-12-05_birthday
(2).jpg, etc.

i then usually unselect all by clicking on the first file again, i right
click and then rename that file a second time, so it still is set at the
front of the line. (eg 02-12-05_birthday (0).jpg)

as to doing this in other OS's... your on your own. hope this helped.

happy photos
kat
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 9:43:14 PM

"Craig" <jcstone1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Using an Olympus. All the photo/files that I download to my hard drive
look
> about the same (eg P3140001.JPG). Is there a way to quickly rename the
> photo/files so I can tell what they are (eg Birthday1, Birthday2...etc)?
>
> Thanks, Craig

I've used the following with success. It's powerful, so be careful.
Otherwise, I keep to Exifer.

http://www.somewareonthe.net/index_namo.htm

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Craig wrote:
> Using an Olympus. All the photo/files that I download to my hard drive look
> about the same (eg P3140001.JPG). Is there a way to quickly rename the
> photo/files so I can tell what they are (eg Birthday1, Birthday2...etc)?

ACDsee lets you re-sort drag & drop then batch rename with a right-click.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 11:46:19 PM

In the long haul you'll appreciate having one of the photo album suites/apps. I
love Jasc (now Corel) Photo Album. It will do some simple corrections, and the
batch renaming parameters are wonderful... plus you can add searchable keywords,
dates, etc. etc.
Look into Adobe's Photo Album and Jasc (Corel)....

Tim
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 8:43:03 PM

Destin_FL wrote:
> In the long haul you'll appreciate having one of the photo album suites/apps. I
> love Jasc (now Corel) Photo Album. It will do some simple corrections, and the
> batch renaming parameters are wonderful... plus you can add searchable keywords,
> dates, etc. etc.
> Look into Adobe's Photo Album and Jasc (Corel)....
>
> Tim

yeah i've been looking at that. haven't forked out the money for it just
yet though. thanks for the tip. i'm still kinda debating on a archiving
suite. but the original poster just wanted to know how to change names
so... it works for a quick fix.

cheers
kat
!