Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Advice for new system

Last response: in Systems
July 14, 2011 3:33:02 PM

Hello, My name is Duncan and I am new to these forums so forgive me if I have misplaced this thread. I am currently trying to plan out my next computer I plan to use for school next year, I will be taking Computer Networking Security and Administration but also I am a very big PC gamer. I would like the computer to be powerful an up to date with today standards for all programming related applications and gaming. I do not have a budget as of yet but I plan for this computer to last me for quite a few years.

My current computer is a 32 bit machine with an AMD Athlon 2 dual core processor and 3 gigs of ram, Its fast enough for the average user but I love dual monitors and would like to move up too three (I love multitasking quite a bit). I tend to push my computers to the limit with many different operating systems. My current system has lasted me 5 years but I feel its no longer preforming its needs. I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on what hardware I should get, I like AMD quite a bit but if there is a better alternate I'm willing to listen.

Anything you can recommend would be a great help and thank you for your time :) 

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 Months

Budget Range: 1000-3000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Programming Apps, And Gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preferrence

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: AMD Proccors

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: up above I guess

More about : advice system

July 14, 2011 3:49:59 PM

please edit your original post by filling out the form linked in my signature, as it will give us all the necessary information to help you.
July 14, 2011 3:50:19 PM

Hi there, welcome to the forums. I think we can find what you need, but please fill out this form: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic... Gives us the info we need to help you ;) 

Once you fill that out, I should be able to come up with an idea of what you need. We'll move from there.

Cheers!
Related resources
July 15, 2011 12:00:11 AM

Okay, everything is up to date now.

Best solution

July 15, 2011 12:12:23 AM

well im going to start off by saying that the typical mid/high end graphics system is

i5-2500k cpu
p67/z68 mobo
dual hd6950 2gbs/ dual GTX 560 ti's
750w psu

a build like that costs $1100-1300
when you start talking about nicer components than that, you quickly start to lose out on the "bang-for-buck" factor.

Its generally ill advised to go for an AMD processor with your budget, because the i5-2500k is affordable and far better than anything amd has to offer. If you want/need to give amd some love, i suggest getting an AMD graphics card.
July 15, 2011 2:45:27 AM

genghiskron said:
well im going to start off by saying that the typical mid/high end graphics system is

i5-2500k cpu
p67/z68 mobo
750w psu

when you start talking about nicer components than that, you quickly start to lose out on the "bang-for-buck" factor.

Its generally ill advised to go for an AMD processor with your budget, because the i5-2500k is affordable and far better than anything amd has to offer. If you want/need to give amd some love, i suggest getting an AMD graphics card.

+1
July 15, 2011 5:44:25 AM

genghiskron said:

i5-2500k cpu
p67/z68 mobo
750w psu

AMD Radeon HD 6970 - http://goo.gl/aEQBP

6970 = $310

Buy one, crossfire later, no need to buy a 6950 for $250 or a crap 560 Ti
July 15, 2011 12:28:27 PM

Best answer selected by DAWDS.
!