Solved

Advice for new system

Hello, My name is Duncan and I am new to these forums so forgive me if I have misplaced this thread. I am currently trying to plan out my next computer I plan to use for school next year, I will be taking Computer Networking Security and Administration but also I am a very big PC gamer. I would like the computer to be powerful an up to date with today standards for all programming related applications and gaming. I do not have a budget as of yet but I plan for this computer to last me for quite a few years.

My current computer is a 32 bit machine with an AMD Athlon 2 dual core processor and 3 gigs of ram, Its fast enough for the average user but I love dual monitors and would like to move up too three (I love multitasking quite a bit). I tend to push my computers to the limit with many different operating systems. My current system has lasted me 5 years but I feel its no longer preforming its needs. I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on what hardware I should get, I like AMD quite a bit but if there is a better alternate I'm willing to listen.

Anything you can recommend would be a great help and thank you for your time :)

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 Months

Budget Range: 1000-3000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Programming Apps, And Gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preferrence

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: AMD Proccors

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments: up above I guess
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice system
  1. please edit your original post by filling out the form linked in my signature, as it will give us all the necessary information to help you.
  2. Hi there, welcome to the forums. I think we can find what you need, but please fill out this form: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice Gives us the info we need to help you ;)

Once you fill that out, I should be able to come up with an idea of what you need. We'll move from there.

Cheers!
  3. Okay, everything is up to date now.
  4. Best answer
    well im going to start off by saying that the typical mid/high end graphics system is

i5-2500k cpu
    p67/z68 mobo
    dual hd6950 2gbs/ dual GTX 560 ti's
    750w psu

a build like that costs $1100-1300
    when you start talking about nicer components than that, you quickly start to lose out on the "bang-for-buck" factor.

Its generally ill advised to go for an AMD processor with your budget, because the i5-2500k is affordable and far better than anything amd has to offer. If you want/need to give amd some love, i suggest getting an AMD graphics card.
  5. genghiskron said:
    well im going to start off by saying that the typical mid/high end graphics system is

i5-2500k cpu
    p67/z68 mobo
    750w psu

when you start talking about nicer components than that, you quickly start to lose out on the "bang-for-buck" factor.

Its generally ill advised to go for an AMD processor with your budget, because the i5-2500k is affordable and far better than anything amd has to offer. If you want/need to give amd some love, i suggest getting an AMD graphics card.

+1
  6. genghiskron said:

i5-2500k cpu
    p67/z68 mobo
    750w psu

AMD Radeon HD 6970 - http://goo.gl/aEQBP

6970 = $310

Buy one, crossfire later, no need to buy a 6950 for $250 or a crap 560 Ti
  7. Best answer selected by DAWDS.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems