Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Motherboard & CPU security for traveling

Last response: in Motherboards
July 4, 2012 3:52:57 PM

Hello enthusiasts

I will be traveling abroad in the next days and I *need* to take my build with me. I still have the original boxes for every part, so the GPU, PSU HDD, etc, will be traveling safely in their boxes.

The problem is, I don't know what to do with my processor. Would it be safer to leave it plugged in the motherboard and pack the motherboard in it's box?

Or would it be safer to remove the processor, pack it in it's own box, and then plug it back when I get to my destination?

Same problem is for RAM cards, but those are way easier to remove, plug back, so those don't worry me as much.

Any advice or suggestion is appreciated for real!
Thanks

Best solution

a c 716 V Motherboard
July 4, 2012 4:02:19 PM

Unless you have the 'CPU Socket Protector' then leave the CPU in otherwise unless something 'else' in the inside case can become loose it won't make a difference. Just make certain if there are e.g. loose items that you also either secure them with e.g. Strapping or Painter's Tape or Bubble wrap to insure nothing can damage the MOBO...
a c 168 V Motherboard
a b 8 Security
July 4, 2012 4:15:45 PM

The CPU is safe in its socket. Don't worry about damaging it, that metal plate on top is there for a reason
Score
Related resources
July 4, 2012 4:16:15 PM

Is it safe to leave bubble wrap inside the box with the mobo (touching it), to add extra protection?
Score
a c 168 V Motherboard
a b 8 Security
July 4, 2012 4:17:24 PM

greatarcantos said:
Is it safe to leave bubble wrap inside the box with the mobo (touching it), to add extra protection?

Most likely. I would personally wrap it in an anti-static bag and then wrap the anti-static bag in bubble wrap. The bubblewrap could tear on a sharp corner and you'll end up with little bits of plastic getting stuck on the board
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 4, 2012 4:26:27 PM

NOPE!!!! Do NOT use 'Anti-Static' bags - on the outside they're Conductive.
Score
a c 168 V Motherboard
a b 8 Security
July 4, 2012 4:28:45 PM

jaquith said:
NOPE!!!! Do NOT use 'Anti-Static' bags - on the outside they're Conductive.

Yes they are conductive... that's what gives them the anti-static effect
Score
July 4, 2012 4:33:00 PM

Im pretty sure Pinhedd meant to wrap the mobo inside the anti-static bag (safe from shocks) and then put the bubblewrap between the bag and the box...
I'll see if I can work that out
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 4, 2012 4:41:44 PM

I'm a hobby system builder and when I ship I use:

* Expanding Foam Bags (inside the case)
* Bubble Warp (inside the case and peripherals)
* Painter's tape
* Plastic Cable ties
* Soft Foam Boxing
* Shipping Insurance

My preference is to remove the GPU(s) and large HSF assemblies that can damage the PCIe slots and/or micro-crack the MOBO, and I prefer to drain the systems (water cooling).

I never would place 'Anti-Static' bags inside the case.
Score
a c 168 V Motherboard
a b 8 Security
July 4, 2012 4:55:53 PM

greatarcantos said:
Im pretty sure Pinhedd meant to wrap the mobo inside the anti-static bag (safe from shocks) and then put the bubblewrap between the bag and the box...
I'll see if I can work that out

Yup that's exactly what I meant. That's how most components are packaged anyway. They're wrapped inside an antistatic bag and the antistatic bag is wrapped in tough bubblewrap (the tougher it is the more resistant it is to static). This provides static protection and shock protection. Shock protection is far more important than static protection because most integrated circuits are quite resistant to it but it never hurts to be careful and static bags are fairly cheap.

jaquith said:
I'm a hobby system builder and when I ship I use:

* Expanding Foam Bags (inside the case)
* Bubble Warp (inside the case and peripherals)
* Painter's tape
* Plastic Cable ties
* Soft Foam Boxing
* Shipping Insurance

My preference is to remove the GPU(s) and large HSF assemblies that can micro-crack the MOBO, and I prefer to drain the systems (water cooling).

I never would place 'Anti-Static' bags inside the case.

If you're shipping all of the components preassembled inside of a metal case then using an anti-static bag isn't necessary because the case itself serves the exact same function. Anti-static bags work by enclosing the protected device in a tough plastic insulator and then surrounding it with a metallic mesh. The conductive mesh prevents localized charge buildup by redistributing it across the surface of the bag. In accordance with Guass's law this makes it nearly impossible to deliver a charge to the enclosed device.
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 4, 2012 5:02:04 PM

You're trying to explain 'Anti-Static' bags -- to me??!!

Again, NEVER inside a case. Outside the case, removed, and in a separate box then sure, still bubble warp the 'components' to prevent damage from shock (drops, impacts, sudden acceleration changes, etc).
Score
a c 168 V Motherboard
a b 8 Security
July 4, 2012 5:07:59 PM

jaquith said:
You're trying to explain 'Anti-Static' bags -- to me??!!

Again, NEVER inside a case. Outside the case, removed, and in a separate box then sure, still bubble warp the 'components' to prevent damage from shock (drops, impacts, sudden acceleration changes, etc).

Which is exactly what the OP said he's doing. He's putting everything in its own box
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 4, 2012 5:23:54 PM

You're going on wild Goose chases quoting me, and I have no issues the with 'Anti-Static' bags just not inside the case.

I suggested to place Bubble wrap inside the OP's case to prevent loose objects from causing damage inside the case, and then you had to put your 2-cents in to a thread.

The 'Anti-Static' bags have very sharp edges and can easily cut through the bubble wrapping and have no business inside the case -- bubble wrapped or not -- fine outside the case.

I do 3~4 $4K~$15K builds a month, and I know what and why I'm saying what I said.

Now we can argue all day and night. I've stated How I Do It, and ditto with your way...
Score
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2012 5:42:13 PM

I personally would leave the motherboard, PSU, CPU and most other components in the system case except for over-sized heatsinks that may break off if subjected to (very) rough handling and HDDs, no need to take the whole thing apart.
Score
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 4, 2012 7:45:24 PM

^+1

Quote:
My preference is to remove the GPU(s) and large HSF assemblies that can damage the PCIe slots and/or micro-crack the MOBO, and I prefer to drain the systems (water cooling).
Score
July 14, 2012 7:01:05 AM

Best answer selected by greatarcantos.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b 8 Security
July 15, 2012 1:27:13 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!