Sapphire Radeon 5850 Extreme + LG 42LE5300 HDMI connection issue

Apparently I accidentally opened this thread in the wrong section of Graphic Cards, so I re-opened it here, hope it's ok:

Hello guys,

I have a question about the above setup.

Currently I have my Radeon 5850 connected to my LG 42LE5300 42" display and also a PS3.

I just got the card yesterday and connected it using an HDMI cable, downloaded the latest Catalyst 11.4 drivers and I'm using VLC Media Player to play HD movies.

Previously I didn't have an HDMI card so I used my PS3 to stream HD movies from my PC to my TV using the PS3 Media Server (It uses MEncoder to decode the data), the quality of the streaming was incredible, the sound and picture quality is sharp and crisp even at 720p movies, not to mention the outstanding quality of 1080p movies.

However, when connecting my 5850, there is a clear difference in the quality (I used the same HDMI gold plated cable to test this). At first I used WMPlayer and the picture quality received by a direct connection to the PC was lower, it's wasn't as sharp and far more pixelized and grainy, the colors are not as good as well.

I removed all my Codec packs and downloaded the VLC Media Player which has its own built in decoder and uses GPU acceleration - results were better, but still, not as good as when streaming from the PS3.

Are there any 3rd side applications needed in order to improve the image quality when connecting a GPU to the TV? I was told that I could tweak some settings with the CD that I received with my TV in order to output 100Hz from the GPU (The TV is 100Hz) and achieve a better quality, I still haven't had the time to try this but I have the CD at home and I'll check it out later.

It puzzles me that the quality from the PS3 is better since the Radeon 5850 is far more superior than the PS3's GPU so it should provide at least the same image quality, if not far better.

Overall, I've done some reading and I saw the big topic about this issue with Samsung TVs:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267972-33-1080-hdmi-hdmi-connected-quality

Apparently this issue affects many people, and I am yet to find a solution.

I read in that thread that ATI Avivo should help, I'll do it when I get home, should that make a difference?

Any help would be appreciated, Zach.
5 answers Last reply
More about sapphire radeon 5850 extreme 42le5300 hdmi connection issue
  1. Avivo will certainly help with hardware acceleration -- not sure VLC does that quite right as of yet. I've had no issues with MPC-HC.

Did you mean 120MHz?

I suspect this is where your problems are -- 'syncing up' your card output, screen frequency and media. You are running into scaling issues.

I've got a big ol' LG 1080p plasma 60Hz and it works great for media and gaming -- not so great as a computer monitor.
  2. It's all about settings. I'm using a much older generation GPUs and got perfect results on HDTV. I have 3 setups 50 inch, 65 inch, and 70 inch. All link though HDMI.

My GPU's are 4890, GTX 280, and 4890 CF...They all work. I also have a PS3 on my 50 inch setup.

Go to Catalyst Control(Adjustment/Settings can be done on )
    Desktop Management
    My Digital Flat Panels
  3. You should get good results for PC, Games, Stream Video, HD-Video
  4. Thanks for the replies, I was actually able to figure out the issue.

Turns out that there were 2 features crippling the display:

1. The GPU Scaling option was enabled in the CCC, I disabled it
    2. The Overscan feature was also enabled and I disabled it to 0%

At that point I had a full 1920x1080 display but it was outside of the screen, so I simply changed my TV's aspect ratio from 16:9 to Just Scan and presto, the image fits perfectly and the quality is soooo much better. I have also tried changing the Input Label to PC but I found that I cannot change colors or enable the LG true motion feature for 100/120Hz as this input is more designed for an RGB connection rather than HDMI.

All in all, the CCC was scaling my screen to for the 16:9 aspect ratio which gave me a blurry and pixelized image, everything works fine now :)

P.S. I was able to find a GPU Acceleration feature in VLC, however, in Avivo (Which correct me if I'm wrong is already embedded inside CCC nowadays right?) I wasn't able to find such a feature.

Anything else I need to do?

Thanks
  5. Glad you found your problem. I don't use CCC -- I install individual drivers through the Catalyst installer. Normally it will scan my system and recommend video, chipset and codec updates that are missing or not current -- otherwise, I download and directly install the individual package if I feel something is missing (I don't do the "Auto Updates" on anything -- I've been borked too many times by MS, App updates, drivers, etc). The Avivo drivers are located behind the "Motherboard/Integrated Video" section in the 'Options' tab after you select your OS.

Once you have enabled GPU acceleration in the VLC preferences I've got no idea how to check for the actual codec(s) it may be using.

When I check my playback I select 'DxVA' and verify that the codec is reported as the 'ATI Mpeg Decoder' or 'UVD'. It slashed my CPU utilization (under C&Q) in the 60% range in several rigs once I verified installation.
Ask a new question

Read More

Tuner Cards PlayStation HDMI Graphics