Budget gaming computer feedback

joho128

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Hey guys so i am planing on building a very budget gaming computer within the next few months and this is what i have come up with so far (budget is around $550 I can't go over that)

WARNING - newegg.ca links are behaving oddly on this forum right now. Clicking one of these links will take you away from this page. Instead specify "open in new tab" or such by right-clicking. This is a forum issue most probably - Proximon

Case: Rosewill Challanger ATX mid tower $55

PSU: Rosewill RV2-500 500 W ATX12V $40

Optical Drive:Lite on DVD burner $18

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX $65

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core $110

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $34

GPU: Sapphire radeon hd 5670 1GB $75

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s $40

and an extra Sata cable for $4

Total= $534.70 after shipping discounts and tax

As you can tell everything is from newegg.ca so if you guys could keep it to newegg.ca and tigerdirect.ca that would be great, also i prefer AMD over Intel, max resolution will be 1920X1080. Also i tried to go for upgrade ability while still staying below my budget. The most graphical intense game i will be playing with it would be Rift. The extra Sata cable is for another older Sata HDD that i have that has windows XP on it, if i use that HDD as my main harddrive and the new one as storage, will that work? Thanks in advance

joho, there is some odd behaviour with newegg.ca links right now. I can only guess this is a forum issue. I am going to edit your post a bit to warn folks, then I'll post about your parts.

Also, in the future please label your links. We don't really want to click your links... we would much rather you name the parts in your post, as we are familiar with most parts.

joho128

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

Ok will do thank you

Could you swing this combo deal instead? It's a better PSU... the RV series is unknown to me but probably not good.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.677000

With the old 760G chipset you are going to miss out on newer features such as USB 3.

I'm not a huge MSI fan, but I have used several of these boards (or very similar models) this year with no issues:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130308

You could step down to this processor and save some while getting slightly faster clocks... most games don't use quad cores anyway
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103886

I think that covers it, rest looks OK. Generally I use NCIX for Canadians though. Prices are usually better.

joho128

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

Thank you for the reply, i am unfamiliar with NCIX iw ill look into that site, thanks for the help!

I looked into the URL problem -- it is from the URL tracking that Tom's Hardware uses. No hijacking, no problem with Newegg.ca or your browser.

Just use the Right-Click + New Tab and you'll be fine.

It's with -> api.viglink.com and how it redirects your clicks...

@joho128 - Good Luck in your Build - you're in good hands! :)