Sign in with
Your question

Can you upgrade the CPU in a Dell 11z laptop?

Last response: in CPUs
October 11, 2011 5:52:28 PM

Here's what I want to know...

I have a Dell 11z. Memory has been maxed out to 8gigs. Slight improvement, but not enough. The current CPU is a core i3 330um (1.2ghz). Considering the sockets are the same, can I upgrade it to a 330m (2.16ghz) or 350m (2.24ghz) or 370m without issue? I'm aware that it's a BGA and requires rework to do it. I more concerned if I will fry everything in it once the swap is done.

Does anyone know?

More about : upgrade cpu dell 11z laptop

a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 6:56:41 PM

Physically the chips will work without a problem.

Whether the BIOS will accept the new processors is the bigger problem.

It a pain in the A$$ to get them switched out, but if you can do it you should be good to go
m
l
October 11, 2011 7:51:44 PM

Thank you for the info!

According to dell specs., they have an Inspiron M101z or along those lines that supposedly has the same internals running the 330m versus the 330um. I would assume, that if my current BIOS doesn't accept the new chip that I could flash it with whatever BIOS version dell has running on the M101z. Again, provided that I could get that BIOS file and that dell somehow hasn't blocked me from flashing their hardware, even though I own it now...lol I'll have to research it before hand.

Either way, if and when the job is done I'll post the outcome and performance gains which should be significant...

m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 8:01:41 PM

Flashing the BIOS should be no problem if necessary, as you can access any files on the download site. Just change your computer model to the 101z
m
l
October 12, 2011 3:00:24 PM

Good deal...thanks for the support!
m
l
March 3, 2013 6:29:11 PM

tommy2s said:
Good deal...thanks for the support!

Hi. This is an old topic, but I have a similar processor in a dell inspiron 11z, and was wondering if you had any luck with this (if so, I might do the same). Thanks!
m
l
!