Sign in with
Your question

Sell i5 760 and 6870 for bulldozer and better card?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Bulldozer
  • Intel i5
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
October 11, 2011 6:36:45 PM

should i sell my i5 760 @4ghz and my ati 6870 xfx for bulldozer?

there is a sale on ASUS AM3+ SABERTOOTH 990FX for £125.00 (uk)

what you think sell up and get better card and bulldozer or stay?

for gaming only!

and only because of cheep motherboard.... so no 1155 ideas....

More about : sell 760 6870 bulldozer card

a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 6:38:49 PM

Bulldozer has not been released for desktop users. Any Bulldozer chips out there are for servers. I would wait until it is released for desktops before upgrading.
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 11:01:02 PM

itzdanielp said:
Bulldozer has not been released for desktop users. Any Bulldozer chips out there are for servers. I would wait until it is released for desktops before upgrading.

Release is tomorrow, so waiting is the best option. Just avoid the BD Rumors thread ATM. Lots of off-topic stuff because of the whole 18 (14 for the guys across the pond) dilemma.

I would keep your current setup. A pair of 6870's have a lot of power and an i5 760 @ 4.0GHz doesn't require an upgrade at all.
a c 100 à CPUs
October 12, 2011 3:38:33 AM

I would say there is no reason to do a CPU/mobo upgrade at all. An i5 760, especially an overclocked one like yours is still quite good. Getting a Bulldozer or Sandy Bridge system probably wouldn't yield any real performance boost in any game, not even in the really CPU heavy titles, not unless you are comparing the CPU's performance when using a really high end dual GPU setup. Right now, your performance bottleneck is definitely the 6870, not the i5 760. If you really want better gaming performance, either add another 6870, or look at a better GPU.

If you do want to just upgrade your GPU without taking the Crossfire option, you may want to wait until next year for the next generation of cards. From a 6870, the only really worthwhile single GPU upgrade is the GTX 580, and it is horribly overpriced for the performance it gives.
Related resources
!