Suld I attempt to do my first build myself?

ostitcho

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I just got in my new case and motherboard.It all seems pretty easy.But Computer stores charge so much.Should i attempt to switch everything myself?Is the thermal paste for the processor the only thing i would need?

It is a HAF 932 Advanced case,Asus Sabertooth 990fx mobo.Anthlon ii x4 645.6970 and 8GB of ram with a XFX 750 PSU.

It's pretty straight forward if you feel confident enough.
Just give yourself a roomy/clean work area.
Yes if you're talking a stock cooler that came with preapplied paste,you'll need to clean off the cpu and cooler.(99% isopropyl alcohol)
New paste is a must.
Good luck!

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
go ahead and do it yourself, unless you are mechanically or electrically inept and can't do basic trouble shooting without freaking out. If either of those describe you, you may want to find a friend who's built one before or invest a bit of time reading multiple detailed accounts about how to build a computer until you feel comfortable.

It really isn't that hard. Almost everything you need to know is in the motherboard manual and the rest can easily be found on the web. Just make sure you are grounded (or risk damaging the components).

Yes, the only thing you need (besides a screwdriver) is thermal paste for the CPU since you'll have to remove the heatsink. Just clean it off with rubbing alcohol and apply a very thin layer of new thermal paste (instructions come with the thermal paste).

Is your kitchen carpeted?
Do it there on the table,otherwise wear runners not sock feet.
Paste is anywhere from $5-15 bucks and includes enough for multiple applications.
Good cheap paste.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007788%204024&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=85%7C35-186-020%5E35-186-020-02%23%2C35-154-003%5E35-154-003-02%23
Radio Shack/Source sells paste.
You don't need a grounding strap just touch the metal of your case or the psu with one hand.
Don't touch anything while it's powered up.
Do turn the power button off on the psu and unplug it.
Do depress your case power button to discharge capacitors after the above step.
If you do this you don't need a ground strap unless your're wearing a sweater, shuffling your sock feet on carpet,while petting the cat.

BlacKHawK3

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Get a grounding strap (google it) or always continuously hold a metal part of the case if you can work one-handed... your choice.

If you got a new CPU and it came with heatsink-fan, you can use the pre-applied thermal pad on the new heatsink (despite what the cooling nut here say :lol: ). If you are re-using a CPU or HSF then get some paste its $5 to $10 for a small tube and has application instructions.