Upgrading a Slimline's 220w PSU

MisutaSupakoru

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hi Everybody

I have an HP Slimline S5-1020 (specs) (motherboard specs)

I wish to upgrade my stock 220w PSU to a 400w PSU. After contacting HP customer support by email, asking them which specs I should look for in a PSU upgrade, I received a quick and helpful reply telling me that I have to look for a "Micro-atx" type PSU.

Is that all I have to worry about?
With that information I looked for a Micro-ATX and found this one: Apollo 400

If I buy this, will it fit into my computer and be compatible with all of my hardware?

Also, If this isn't a good PSU to buy, which do you recommend with a budget of $100?

I want to upgrade the PSU to be able to handle a low-profile video card comfortably.
This will be my first hardware upgrade and makes me kind of nervous, I just want it to go without any problems.

I already knew my slimline would have limited options in terms of customization, but I think that this isn't too out of the question.
Thank You :)

You have a "slim" machine, you'll need a TFX or maybe mITX power supply, need to measure.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600014004&IsNodeId=1&name=TFX12V

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007657%20600014011&IsNodeId=1&name=Mini%20ITX

MisutaSupakoru

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks for the link

Apparently I need a Micro-ATX, but those ones are listed under "SFX12V".

I looked in their Micro-ATX section and found this one:
link

One of my main concerns is for the connectors to be compatible with my hardware.

HP only told me to look for a micro-atx...I'm not sure if there are other criteria to be met or not.
I'm new to this so I want to make sure I get it right

edit-
Wow delluser.
HP was steering me in the wrong direction!
Now I'm not even sure of which type I'm supposed to buy...

The more research I do into this, the more confused I get

Apparently these two units are very similar.
The Silverstone is supposedly a FSP oem anyways.
Either one would work.
Like delluser1 said i think it's time to physically measure your unit.
Do it right the first time don't take someone else's word for it.

MisutaSupakoru

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
This is too complicated for my understanding..
I might just buy the video card without upgrading the PSU

some are saying that the recommended wattage is exaggerated and there are low-end cards that will run on a 220w.
I do want to use it for gaming, but not for new games.

I'll look into which low power cards I can get