Why am I only able to use 3.75/4gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

schpen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
My dad has 4 gigs of ram, and he just put 64 bit on his computer, and since he was on a onboard gfx, i told him should use my old HD 4350 cause I thought it took away from the ram using an onboard. But after putting 64bit windows, he still can only use 3.75/4gigs, why is this?

It depends the MOBO and the location and type of Memory Controller; example if the MOBO uses a Memory Chip Controller (MCC) then you won't get the 'full' 4GB, but if the CPU has it's own Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) then you should.

Further, MOBO's with an IGPU use anywhere from 64MB to 1GB depending on the settings in the BIOS -- and yes even if there's a Discrete GPU.

My suggestion is to get into the BIOS and look for the iGPU and if possible Disable and/or reduce it to it's minimum size then lastly in the Device Manager Disable the iGPU then reboot.

Hello,

Could you tell us what OS? I'm assuming it's windows 7 though. He might have to disable the onboard GPU in the BIOS which might be reserving 256MB of space for the IGPU.

However, on that note, since he upgraded to 64bit windows, he might as well get a matched pair of 4GB of ram (2x4GB). RAM is quite cheap and easy to install.

I wouldn't suggest just sticking another stick of 4GB of ram, it might cause stability problems.

If he doesn't use photoshop, 8GB would be perfect.

Edit: I see i was a tad slow lol.

Edit 2: By the way, it would be a waste of money to go to 64 bit windows and keep that computer at 4GB. The whole reason for 64bit windows is to use more than 4GB of RAM.

schpen

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Yes its 64bit. His friend had a copy from his work, and used it. Works just fine, says 64bit in Computer properties, if it was 32bit, it would only be like 3.25 or something, but its 3.75.. and as far as the onboard goes, i checked bios, and PCIE is selected, not 'internal'

There should be at minimum one or two BIOS settings relating to the iGPU and in particular the amount of shared RAM.

If you post the exact MOBO more than likely I can find the manual and post here the settings.

--

32-bit - anywhere from 3.0GB~3.75GB is normal and most of the time 3.5GB~3.75GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.