Crossfire or no Crossfire

maxim7716

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hello,
I am currently building a new computer and was wondering if i should either get two ATI Radeon HD 5770 or an ATI Radeon HD 6950 with an build in graphic card at ATI Radeon HD 4290

I'd say go fpr the HD 6950, 2 GB. Its a very powerful card and runs about $250 after rebates. This will save the hassles/driver issues of a crossfire setup. The average computer user won't see a lot of benefit from a multi-card setup.

Not sure what you're after with the onboard graphics, there's really no need to pay for onboard video when you are certain to be using an add in card. It will not benefit you in any way, unless your goal is to retire it in a couple of years as an HTPC! :)

So I would look at a 870 chipset motherboard if that is what you're asking about. They run under $100 US and can even handle crossfire at 8X/8X speed.

maxim7716

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
so if i just want to use it for gaming then should i still use the one card set up? I currently don't have an monitor at the moment so what I want to do is use my 46' TV as an monitor.

There really isn't much of a difference(if any) pricewise in terms of AMD boards with/without an IGP. It is useful to have as a backup imo.