Optical Drive

JacobG

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Hello,

I currently have a Dell Optiplex 360 and I'm looking to get a new comp. The CD/DVD burner that came with this computer is really slow when it comes to burning dvds. I don't know much about the burners, so im asking how do i know whats a fast burner? I see the 24x and the 48x but i dont really know what that means. Then on the other hand theres also the cache. So what im wondering is what all this means? If I wanted a really fast drive what numbers should i be looking for? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jacob G.

Solution
The higher the X number the faster it is, the bigger the cache the more DATA it can handle at a time. Bare in mind the speed rating on the disks you use affects the performance too. The slower you burn the better quality that is less chance of errors.
As far as DVD/burners go they're all pretty much the same.
No reason to spend more then $25.
I have 4 at the moment 3 are Samsungs(not all the same model) and an Asus.
I can't discern any speed difference between them.
A name brand unit on sale for under $20 is fine.
That's when i bought mine.

The higher the X number the faster it is, the bigger the cache the more DATA it can handle at a time. Bare in mind the speed rating on the disks you use affects the performance too. The slower you burn the better quality that is less chance of errors.

Solution