What's the best way to set fan control speeds?

redvandam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
...if there even is one.

I just got a GTX 460 1 Gig and I am using EVGA Precision to control my fan speeds.

It has to options, one that goes on a slope, the other stairs.

I prefer the slope but my question is by constantly adjusting the fan, instead of incrementally like the stairs profile, am I working the fan too much which could put additional wear on the card?

does constantly adjust mean you are always tweaking with it, or is it just before you boot up a game? if its just booting up for a game, afterburner works great. I adjust before booting up a game from idle to 65% and i have yet to have any issues with any cards ive owned. ive never used the precision app though.

I agree with using MSI Afterburner, but not in the way you are using it.

You can create a fan profile, and create a curve that increases the fan speed when the GPU reaches different temperatures. I have about 5 different fan speeds set to change when the GPU reaches certain temperatures.

It's a great way to control the noise levels and temperatures. Instead of making it always work at 65% fan speed when a game is running, it will only reach 65% (or higher) when the temperatures require it.

redvandam

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
At the moment, my fan speed matches the GPU temp. If the GPU is running at 78c the fan speed is at 78%. The fan speed will adjust to match the GPU temp every 10 seconds.

My question was, does that put too much wear and tear on the fan by constantly changing the speed at which the fan operates.

Would it be better to have the fan speed adjust incrementally. For instance, if the GPU temp is between 50c and 59c, the fan speed would be 50%. From 60c to 69c the fan speed would at 60%.

This seems like it's less stressful for the fan but my make the card run hotter than it needs to.

TRENDING THREADS