Closed Solved

Completely new build won't POST, powers on, 4 beeps, off, repeat

Hello,
I'm having trouble getting my newly built computer to boot properly. It has never booted.

The build:
CPU: i5-3450
Mobo: Biostar H61MLB
RAM: 2x2gb Kingston HyperX blu
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 series 600w ATX
GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 560 Ti
HD: Seagate Momentus 320 GB

Right now all of that is put together except for the HD. I have the case's power button wired to the mobo, but when I press it the system speaker gives me 4 beeps, the fans go on, and then it shuts off after a couple seconds. The CPU fan takes a bit to get going. This repeat until I turn off the power supply.

I looked in the mobo manual but 4 beeps doesn't even correspond to any of the errors. I've reconfigured the memory in every way possible. When I try to boot with no RAM, it's a 50/50 chance: either I get 4 beeps like usual, or just silence.

I am using an old system speaker I took out of a computer from 1999 or so.

I have tried booting without the GPU and nothing changes.

The PSU is hooked up to the mobo, and the secondary 4-pin connection, and the GPU.

I've taken out and reinserted the mobo battery, and I've gone back and made sure the CPU was installed correctly. I feel like I'm running out of options.

I just took this stuff out of the box a day ago, so I really hope the solution isn't to get a new motherboard.

Thanks for the help guys.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about completely build post powers beeps repeat
  1. You're right, the 'flash successful' 4 beep has no bearing on your situation. That is suspicious right there. If it won't boot to bios when bread boarded outside the case and the 24 pin and 4/8 pin PSU cable is connected... it points to a defective board. I've had my share. In fact, one was a Biostar.
  2. Best answer
    Unfortunately, your problem is your processor/mobo combo. The H61 is compatible with 3000 series processors, but it requires a BIOS update to be compatible, and you need another processor to update your BIOS.
  3. Best answer selected by mahogany_barrelflute.
  4. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets Motherboards