New build CPU Temperature concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yedanker

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hey there.
I'm new to the scene of PC building, and this is my first custom built computer. My brother helped me build it and he has built quite a few computers before, so hopefully most beginners mistakes can be ruled out. It's running on the stock cooler, however, the thermal paste was reapplied (Artic Silver) after I realised that the temps were too high. It didn't really help at all.

It hit 73 degrees after video rendering for less than a minute. I also tried Prime95, and the temperatures reached 82 degrees after no more than a minute.

What's wrong here? And should I be concerned of the health of my CPU?

Thanks.

Here is a trick to help test to see if the HSF (heatsink/fan) is seated right. Reach down and grab one of the twist clips and pull straight up. If it comes up then it wasnt clipped right. Do this in turn to each of the clips on the four corners of the HSF.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

cjtex

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
My temps were running high when I first got my i5 2500k. First time I put it on temps were high, and I re-ordered new thermal paste from intel. I reapplied the way they show you to and made sure my cooler was seated right. My i5 idles at 23*C in a 70*F room. Under load in prime it doesn't go any higher than 62*C...And thats OC at 4.6ghz

Yedanker

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Alright, thanks guys. I will try the trick tomorrow and see what happens. If it does pop off, does that mean (after reapplying paste) I will have to push it in even more? I cringed at the amount the motherboard bended when I applied pressure to get the things through origionally :??:, am I just being a wuss? :p

Cheers again.

Yedanker

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

Haha, ok! :D

Where do they show this? I certainly would be interested to know how the "proper" method is.

Yedanker

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
I remounted the cooler today, no luck. The twist pipes didn't come up, so it was properly attached. It hit about 74 degrees during render, understandably that will decrease due to the settling period for the thermal paste... but it still is too high.

It idles around 39 - 44 celcius.

I'm not sure what to do next :(.

Yedanker

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

Luckily I haven't touched any of the clock speeds etc, I've always been very paranoid about that kind of thing. I'll look into RMA'ing it as soon as possible. Fingers crossed that it will be better!

Thanks again.

Yedanker

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Hey again, reporting back with good news!

The RMA was successful and I have installed the new i5 into my system today. It's running much cooler than previously, and even during Prime 95 it only reached 65 degrees (previously 80 or more).

Thanks everyone for the help!

Great enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.