Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Would a radeon 6950 be overkill?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 3, 2011 10:10:19 PM

Hi
At the moment i hv a radeon 5770 512mb card which i am wanting to upgrade, was thking of a 6950 1gb but it is abit more than i really wanted to spend, considering that my monitor has a max res of 1400x1200 and i am happy with medium/high settings, would a 5870 or 6870 be good enough to keep me going over the next few years with a solid frame rate

Thanks for any replys

Pc specs:
phenom II x4 965 processor
8gb ddr3 ram
radeon hd 5770 512mb
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO 785G motherboard
windows 7 64 bit

More about : radeon 6950 overkill

a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2011 10:15:39 PM

Yes, do you plan to upgrade your monitor anytime soon? ....also, what is your PSU?
Related resources
May 3, 2011 10:23:05 PM

Was playing on a 15" laptop monitor before this so i am happy with my monitor at the moment, my psu is only a OCZ Stealth Xtream 500W PSU so guessing i will need to buy a new one with the graphics card, thanks 4 the link, would a 5850 be a big jump fromt he card i hv now?
May 3, 2011 10:24:21 PM

Witcher 2 and bf3 are two games i am wanting to play :) 
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 3, 2011 10:30:29 PM

Your PSU should handle the HD5850 just fine. It is approximately 50% faster than your HD5770.
May 3, 2011 10:34:10 PM

Ok thankyou, think i will follow both yr advice, altho one last question, my psu only has one 6 pin connector, is that enough for the 5850? Cheers
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2011 10:37:54 PM

No, one 6 pin is not enough. You can get the same (or about the same, few FPS loss) with the newer hd6850. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I own the Sapphire version, but that costs more, so this would be a great choice. I love my hd6850, so, since your res. is close to mine, I think you will too.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2011 11:42:41 PM

Your PSU is good and the card should come with adapters. :) 
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2011 11:44:38 PM

I wouldn't use the adapters. I have heard that they can harm your card. I would use the good clean power from your PSU instead of adapters.
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 5:19:35 AM

HostileDonut said:
I wouldn't use the adapters. I have heard that they can harm your card. I would use the good clean power from your PSU instead of adapters.

I don't know where you have heard that but it simply isn't true. The manufacturers include them with the cards and wouldn't do so if they were dangerous. Attempting to use one on a junk PSU that can't handle the card... that is another story but the OPs PSU is a good brand and should easily power that card.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 5:34:25 AM

jyjjy said:
I don't know where you have heard that but it simply isn't true. The manufacturers include them with the cards and wouldn't do so if they were dangerous. Attempting to use one on a junk PSU that can't handle the card... that is another story but the OPs PSU is a good brand and should easily power that card.

Oh, okay. I just thought I had heard that somewhere. Didn't want him to break his new card. The hd6580 is better IMO.
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 5:40:51 AM

The HD6850 is actually around 10% slower than the HD5850 on average. It is also more expensive.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 5:51:54 AM

jyjjy said:
The HD6850 is actually around 10% slower than the HD5850 on average. It is also more expensive.

That is true, but it is newer tech, scales better, has better DX11 support, (hd5xxx series DX11 sucked) tessellation, and there are more to pick from. There are more pros if you looked closer. If I had to pick which card I wanted to spend my money on, I would get a hd6850. Guess what, I did. Actually, you were the one who helped me pick it out. Wasn't that a lovely thread? :lol:  :pt1cable:  I think 4 pages if I am correct?
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 6:22:28 AM

HD5850s were not this cheap at that point or I would have recommended one then. While what you say about the HD6850 is true, the HD6000 series does have improved crossfire scaling and DX11 performance, this only serves to help the HD6850 catch up to the HD5850 in those specific areas while still being beaten in the majority of situations. Here are some numbers from the Unigine Heaven benchmark which is specifically designed to test tessellation/DX11 performance;

As you can see the HD5850 still manages to squeak out a win.
If they were the same price I might consider the HD6850 but even then I'm not sure. It would probably depend on the specific models.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 6:35:58 AM

jyjjy said:
HD5850s were not this cheap at that point or I would have recommended one then. While what you say about the HD6850 is true, the HD6000 series does have improved crossfire scaling and DX11 performance, this only serves to help the HD6850 catch up to the HD5850 in those specific areas while still being beaten in the majority of situations. Here are some numbers from the Unigine Heaven benchmark which is specifically designed to test tessellation/DX11 performance;
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/HD_6790/images/heaven_1920_1200.gif
As you can see the HD5850 still manages to squeak out a win.
If they were the same price I might consider the HD6850 but even then I'm not sure. It would probably depend on the specific models.

I do see your points, but I still disagree. The difference is normally only a few FPS anyway. I really don't care about a few FPS if I am getting new tech. They also consume less power saving money. You have valid arguments, but I do disagree. If it were a hd5850 by Gigabyte, ASUS, or a nicer SAPPHIRE version, it would be nicer, but that version is not OCed, and does not look like the HSF is very good. The heat also exhausts into the case. The hd6850 is just better in my opinion. Sorry. In the end, it is the OP's choice. He he wants raw power, get a hd5850, if he wants new tech at the cost of a few FPS, get a hd6850.
May 4, 2011 6:59:03 AM

I have just upgraded to a MSI HD 6950 and it dominates everything I throw at it definitly worth the $280. I also upgraded from two XFX 5770's in CrossfireX big difference in FPS when running ARMA 2 (fun game). I went from running everything on High at 25fps to running everything on very high at 85fps! So in my opinion the 6950 is not too much overkill but with 2GB of GDDR5 ram its overkill nothing even uses that much video ram unless its like autocad but if playing games it will dominate.

The only thing overkill with the 6950 is the 2GB of ram but with that much ram and a good core/mem clock you shouldn't have to upgrade to a new card for some years to come.

Intel Core i7 950 stock 3.0ghz OC'd 3.8Ghz also idle at 22c/load35c

12GB DDR3 Triple Channel Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600Mhz

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Two Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD's

EVGA X58 SLI LE Motherboard

Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler with two 120mm fans in Push-Pull

Coolermaster HAF 932 case
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 7:20:56 AM

HostileDonut said:
I do see your points, but I still disagree. The difference is normally only a few FPS anyway. I really don't care about a few FPS if I am getting new tech. They also consume less power saving money. You have valid arguments, but I do disagree. If it were a hd5850 by Gigabyte, ASUS, or a nicer SAPPHIRE version, it would be nicer, but that version is not OCed, and does not look like the HSF is very good. The heat also exhausts into the case. The hd6850 is just better in my opinion. Sorry. In the end, it is the OP's choice. He he wants raw power, get a hd5850, if he wants new tech at the cost of a few FPS, get a hd6850.

The cooler on that card is actually very effective and quiet supposedly from all the reviews I've seen. Overclockersclub.com also managed to get their model up to 1ghz on the core which is an OC an HD6850 isn't going to match. The power usage difference is also extremely small. Smaller than the performance difference actually. The HD6850 is a nice card but it can't match the value of an HD5850 priced that low IMO. The only real advantage of the HD6850 over the HD5850 as far as I'm aware is HDMI 1.4a support which is mainly about 3D bluray support if you have an appropriate drive and monitor/HDTV.
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 7:23:38 AM

badoosh said:
I have just upgraded to a MSI HD 6950 and it dominates everything I throw at it definitly worth the $280. I also upgraded from two XFX 5770's in CrossfireX big difference in FPS when running ARMA 2 (fun game). I went from running everything on High at 25fps to running everything on very high at 85fps! So in my opinion the 6950 is not too much overkill but with 2GB of GDDR5 ram its overkill nothing even uses that much video ram unless its like autocad but if playing games it will dominate.

The only thing overkill with the 6950 is the 2GB of ram but with that much ram and a good core/mem clock you shouldn't have to upgrade to a new card for some years to come.

Intel Core i7 950 stock 3.0ghz OC'd 3.8Ghz also idle at 22c/load35c

12GB DDR3 Triple Channel Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600Mhz

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Two Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD's

EVGA X58 SLI LE Motherboard

Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler with two 120mm fans in Push-Pull

Coolermaster HAF 932 case
For high resolutions the HD6950 is a great card but it's simply a waste of money at lower ones.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 5:03:17 PM

badoosh said:
I have just upgraded to a MSI HD 6950 and it dominates everything I throw at it definitly worth the $280. I also upgraded from two XFX 5770's in CrossfireX big difference in FPS when running ARMA 2 (fun game). I went from running everything on High at 25fps to running everything on very high at 85fps! So in my opinion the 6950 is not too much overkill but with 2GB of GDDR5 ram its overkill nothing even uses that much video ram unless its like autocad but if playing games it will dominate.

The only thing overkill with the 6950 is the 2GB of ram but with that much ram and a good core/mem clock you shouldn't have to upgrade to a new card for some years to come.

Intel Core i7 950 stock 3.0ghz OC'd 3.8Ghz also idle at 22c/load35c

12GB DDR3 Triple Channel Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600Mhz

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD

Two Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD's

EVGA X58 SLI LE Motherboard

Corsair H50 Liquid Cooler with two 120mm fans in Push-Pull

Coolermaster HAF 932 case

Your hd5770s were probably maxing there vRAM. 2 hd5770s = a hd5870, 1 hd5870 = 1 hd6950. A = B, B= C, so A = C. Two hd5770s is almost as good as one hd5870 or one hd6950.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 5:05:01 PM

jyjjy said:
The cooler on that card is actually very effective and quiet supposedly from all the reviews I've seen. Overclockersclub.com also managed to get their model up to 1ghz on the core which is an OC an HD6850 isn't going to match. The power usage difference is also extremely small. Smaller than the performance difference actually. The HD6850 is a nice card but it can't match the value of an HD5850 priced that low IMO. The only real advantage of the HD6850 over the HD5850 as far as I'm aware is HDMI 1.4a support which is mainly about 3D bluray support if you have an appropriate drive and monitor/HDTV.

I have heard of hd6850s getting to 1ghz. I mean, if he wants to spend his money on that card, go ahead. I would take the hd6850 though. In newer games that use tessellation, and use all of DX11, the hd6850 will out-perform a hd5850. Also, you can OC a hd6850 to hd5870 levels.
a c 106 U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 5:08:09 PM

I would think a single 5770 would be enough at that resolution, but then you're probably limited by the 512MB of RAM because you didn't spend the extra bucks for a 1GB version. Well, since your board only has 16x/4x I can't recommend getting another 5770 for crossfire. I say get a 5850 assuming your PSU is capable enough.
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 5:24:12 PM

HostileDonut said:
I have heard of hd6850s getting to 1ghz. I mean, if he wants to spend his money on that card, go ahead. I would take the hd6850 though. In newer games that use tessellation, and use all of DX11, the hd6850 will out-perform a hd5850. Also, you can OC a hd6850 to hd5870 levels.

Yeah, HD6850s can sometimes reach 1ghz as well. The thing is the HD5850 starts at 725mhz and the HD6850 starts at 800mhz. This means that a 1ghz OC on the HD5850 is a 38% increase while on the HD6850 it is 25%. To match the OC you would need to get the HD6850 up to 1100mhz and then that still wouldn't account for the initial performance advantage of the HD5850.
I'm not sure why you are still going on about DX11. I already posted numbers showing the HD6850 does not actually have an advantage in that area. The improvements in the architecture only help it (mostly) catch up. I can post numbers for actual DX11 games if you want but the HD5850 tends to have an even higher advantage in those compared to the very tessellation heavy Unigine benchmark. Tessellation performance specifically is what AMD improved in the HD6000 architecture so that bench is really the best the HD6850 is going to do in comparison.
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 5:31:49 PM

megamanx00 said:
Well, since your board only has 16x/4x I can't recommend getting another 5770 for crossfire. I say get a 5850 assuming your PSU is capable enough.
A x4 slot actually isn't that bad as long as it is 2.0. There is a recent Tom's article showing x16/x4 losing to x8/x8 by approximately 10% on average for an HD6950. While far from ideal I wouldn't call that a reason to avoid crossfire altogether. I would think the x4 bandwidth is much kinder for crossfiring a much weaker card like the HD5770 also.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 5:33:52 PM

jyjjy said:
Yeah, HD6850s can sometimes reach 1ghz as well. The thing is the HD5850 starts at 725mhz and the HD6850 starts at 800mhz. This means that a 1ghz OC on the HD5850 is a 38% increase while on the HD6850 it is 25%. To match the OC you would need to get the HD6850 up to 1100mhz and then that still wouldn't account for the initial performance advantage of the HD5850.
I'm not sure why you are still going on about DX11. I already posted numbers showing the HD6850 does not actually have an advantage in that area. The improvements in the architecture only help it (mostly) catch up. I can post numbers for actual DX11 games if you want but the HD5850 tends to have an even higher advantage in those compared to the very tessellation heavy Unigine benchmark. Tessellation performance specifically is what AMD improved in the HD6000 architecture so that bench is really the best the HD6850 is going to do in comparison.

Hmmm... I see. Look, most games don't even take advantage of everything DX11 has to offer. So, in brute power, the hd5850 wins, but over all, I would take a hd6850. More feature-proof IMO. In the end, they each reach 1Ghz, which you said, "Overclockersclub.com also managed to get their model up to 1ghz on the core which is an OC an HD6850 isn't going to match". Now are you backing off from that? You do realize the a stock hd6850 has beaten hd5870s in some benchmarks? I don't remember which benches, but they did. Now, imagine if you OCed the hd6850? Now you have the best of both worlds. A hd6850 performing the same, if not better than a hd5870, and better DX11, scaling, tessellation, etc. Why not take a hd6850???!!!! Now, even if a hd5850 edges out a win here and there vs. a OCed hd6850, would anyone care? Probably not. Better tech at a 3 FPS loss. Nobody cares. So, it is the OPs choice. OP, please put in your thoughts.
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 5:56:28 PM

I'm not backing off my quote. I was explaining what I meant because you objected to it. To match the 1ghz OC on an HD5850 you would need to get the HD6850 up to 1100mhz which simply isn't happening.
I just don't know what advantage you think the HD6850 has. When you say who cares if the HD5850 is faster what else is there to care about? Price? The HD5850 wins there as well. Power efficiency? The HD5850 has better performance per watt. Like I said the advantage of the HD6850 appears to be HDMI 1.4a and that's about it. I haven't noted any benchmarks like you are saying where the HD6850 beats the HD5850, much less the HD5870, but if they do exist and those games are all you play well then sure, it's the better choice but that's an exceedingly specific situation that I think is rather unlikely.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 6:19:59 PM

jyjjy said:
I'm not backing off my quote. I was explaining what I meant because you objected to it. To match the 1ghz OC on an HD5850 you would need to get the HD6850 up to 1100mhz which simply isn't happening.
I just don't know what advantage you think the HD6850 has. When you say who cares if the HD5850 is faster what else is there to care about? Price? The HD5850 wins there as well. Power efficiency? The HD5850 has better performance per watt. Like I said the advantage of the HD6850 appears to be HDMI 1.4a and that's about it. I haven't noted any benchmarks like you are saying where the HD6850 beats the HD5850, much less the HD5870, but if they do exist and those games are all you play well then sure, it's the better choice but that's an exceedingly specific situation that I think is rather unlikely.

Look, if you lose a mere 3 FPS average, but get a card that eats less power, has better tech, scaling, DX11, driver support, etc, do you really care about 3 FPS? It's just my opinion... No sense in arguing.... So, if the OP wants a hd5850, so be it. If he wants a hd6850, then that is the better choice IMO. He doesn't need all the hd5850 power, and fail drivers, DX11, and all the other crap a hd5850 has at his res. Again, I say, either card he will be happy with, UNTIL, newer games come out to the market that take advantage of full DX11 and tessellation. hen he will prefer the hd6850. Each card has its own ups and downs. There is no point in arguing though. I think that the newer tech and drivers is worth the 3 FPS loss and $20 more, and you don't. I really don't like arguing. Can we stop and see what the OP has to say?
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 6:53:16 PM

What are you talking about? Where did you get this 3 frames per second number from? It is often much higher than that. Like I said on average the HD5850 is about 10% faster which is only 3 fps if both of these cards where quite poor and averaged 30 fps in most games which they do not except in extremely graphic intensive games at high resolutions. Stop repeating yourself about DX11 as it simply is not true. The HD6850 has NO performance advantage over the HD5850 in DX11/tessellation. As for drivers I don't know what you are talking about there either. These cards use the same drivers and they are stable for both cards. As far as I can tell you are just repeating things that I've shown aren't true already and now just making stuff up. The HD6850 is a good card. The HD5850 is just slightly better in every way I've looked at except for HDMI version. As it is cheaper there's no reason I can see to get the HD6850 unless you want to use 3D bluray support more than a 10% performance advantage and $20. This is entirely possible but making things up about drivers, DX11 performance and constructing a fantasy world where the HD6850 is better than even the HD5870 based on a game or two you think you might have seen benchmarked at some point where it is faster is just handing out bad information IMO.
It's fine to have your opinion but they should be based on facts if you are going to give them as advice to others. Video cards are analyzed to an almost absurd degree on dozens of website so all the information is there about which card is better and in what way if you look for it. I haven't seen you come up with anything to support your opinion and I'm the one who brought up the one actual advantage of the card you are saying is better. You say you don't like to argue so why are you doing so when all the numbers go against what you have to say? I know you bought the HD6850 and it's a good card but it's alright if someone else gets a bit of a better deal on a slightly better card.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 7:04:23 PM

jyjjy said:
What are you talking about? Where did you get this 3 frames per second number from? It is often much higher than that. Like I said on average the HD5850 is about 10% faster which is only 3 fps if both of these cards where quite poor and averaged 30 fps in most games which they do not except in extremely graphic intensive games at high resolutions. Stop repeating yourself about DX11 as it simply is not true. The HD6850 has NO performance advantage over the HD5850 in DX11/tessellation. As for drivers I don't know what you are talking about there either. These cards use the same drivers and they are stable for both cards. As far as I can tell you are just repeating things that I've shown aren't true already and now just making stuff up. The HD6850 is a good card. The HD5850 is just slightly better in every way I've looked at except for HDMI version. As it is cheaper there's no reason I can see to get the HD6850 unless you want to use 3D bluray support more than a 10% performance advantage and $20. This is entirely possible but making things up about drivers, DX11 performance and constructing a fantasy world where the HD6850 is better than even the HD5870 based on a game or two you think you might have seen benchmarked at some point where it is faster is just handing out bad information IMO.
It's fine to have your opinion but they should be based on facts if you are going to give them as advice to others. Video cards are analyzed to an almost absurd degree on dozens of website so all the information is there about which card is better and in what way if you look for it. I haven't seen you come up with anything to support your opinion and I'm the one who brought up the one actual advantage of the card you are saying is better. You say you don't like to argue so why are you doing so when all the numbers go against what you have to say? I know you bought the HD6850 and it's a good card but it's alright if someone else gets a bit of a better deal on a slightly better card.

I am not saying it is better because I bought one, I am giving valid reasons why I think it is better. I keep taking about DX11 because it is one of the big things that makes the card better in my opinion. Most games do not take full advantage of it, so the hd5850 will edge out normally, but later I doubt it. I am not making things up, the hd6850 has much better tessellation, and DX11. Here is something. read the best answer, and the chart. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302875-33-hd5850-hd68... As you can see, if each card get 60FPS, and the hd5850 is better by 6% on average, that is a 3 FPS loss. I get 60FPS sustained in games with V-Sync on. So it would be around 60FPS. Now, look at the top comment, he agrees with me 100%. I would say he is right. I am not saying that the hd5850 is bad card now, or later, but in the future, the hd6850 will be better. So, you wanted me to post something to back myself up..... I did.
May 4, 2011 8:34:45 PM

Hey guys,
been at work all day, thanks for the replys, not sure who is right but the 5850 is about £40 cheaper so that might just sway me, i have found a 6870 quite cheap http://www.ebuyer.com/product/247611 is that worth paying the extra money for or should i just stick to the 5850?

just a other little question how long are some of these cards, because i just measured the inside of my case and i only have abt 11 inches to fit a card in and i have heard some of the newer cards are longer than the 5770?

Thanks again
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 9:05:09 PM

Sharpey1984 said:
Hey guys,
been at work all day, thanks for the replys, not sure who is right but the 5850 is about £40 cheaper so that might just sway me, i have found a 6870 quite cheap http://www.ebuyer.com/product/247611 is that worth paying the extra money for or should i just stick to the 5850?

just a other little question how long are some of these cards, because i just measured the inside of my case and i only have abt 11 inches to fit a card in and i have heard some of the newer cards are longer than the 5770?

Thanks again

The hd6870 is better, but for your res the hd5850 will be fine. If it costs 40 more over there for a hd6850, get the hd5850. It's not worth that much more.
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 9:28:56 PM

HostileDonut said:
I am not saying it is better because I bought one, I am giving valid reasons why I think it is better. I keep taking about DX11 because it is one of the big things that makes the card better in my opinion. Most games do not take full advantage of it, so the hd5850 will edge out normally, but later I doubt it. I am not making things up, the hd6850 has much better tessellation, and DX11. Here is something. read the best answer, and the chart. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/302875-33-hd5850-hd68... As you can see, if each card get 60FPS, and the hd5850 is better by 6% on average, that is a 3 FPS loss. I get 60FPS sustained in games with V-Sync on. So it would be around 60FPS. Now, look at the top comment, he agrees with me 100%. I would say he is right. I am not saying that the hd5850 is bad card now, or later, but in the future, the hd6850 will be better. So, you wanted me to post something to back myself up..... I did.
That chart is based upon all resolutions and on drivers from last year. Here are some more recent charts, all resolutions as well as specific ones, from the same site the chart in the thread is from.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_6790/22.html
That article uses the HD6790 as the baseline so I'll do the math for you. It has the HD5850 as 10.4% faster than the HD6850 at all resolutions and the difference is slightly larger for high resolutions; 11.3% at 1680x1050 and 12.0% at 1920x1200.
As for what you are saying about DX11 that has been covered and it just isn't true. The HD6000 series improved tessellation performance specifically. The Unigine Heaven benchmark is extremely tessellation heavy and specifically designed to test such performance. The HD5850 still comes out very slightly faster in this benchmark and it will likely be a long time before there are any games with such extensive use of the technique. To be clear the HD6000 series DOES have improved tessellation but it is just enough to almost make up for the initial performance difference between these two cards. It is not enough to make the HD6850 superior in that area.
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 9:35:42 PM

HostileDonut said:
The hd6870 is better, but for your res the hd5850 will be fine.
I agree. The HD5850 is already overkill for your resolution basically. Plus the HD6870 costs 50% more but is 6-8% faster or so as you can see in the link included in my last post above.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 9:49:12 PM

jyjjy said:
That chart is based upon all resolutions and on drivers from last year. Here are some more recent charts, all resolutions as well as specific ones, from the same site the chart in the thread is from.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_6790/22.html
That article uses the HD6790 as the baseline so I'll do the math for you. It has the HD5850 as 10.4% faster than the HD6850 at all resolutions and the difference is slightly larger for high resolutions; 11.3% at 1680x1050 and 12.0% at 1920x1200.
As for what you are saying about DX11 that has been covered and it just isn't true. The HD6000 series improved tessellation performance specifically. The Unigine Heaven benchmark is extremely tessellation heavy and specifically designed to test such performance. The HD5850 still comes out very slightly faster in this benchmark and it will likely be a long time before there are any games with such extensive use of the technique. To be clear the HD6000 series DOES have improved tessellation but it is just enough to almost make up for the initial performance difference between these two cards. It is not enough to make the HD6850 superior in that area.

Alright. You win. Although, with time, the drivers for the hd6850 may improve making it the better card.
May 4, 2011 10:13:49 PM

Ok i am gonna go for the 5850, thanks for your time guys, u have saved me alot of money :) 
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 10:14:58 PM

Sharpey1984 said:
Ok i am gonna go for the 5850, thanks for your time guys, u have saved me alot of money :) 

Your welcome, although I almost waisted a bit of yours, until I realized that the hd6850 costs 40 more over there. Haha.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 10:34:14 PM

I wouldn't say "Overkill".
Overkill is maxing every game at that Rez with a solid 50Fps.
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 10:49:32 PM

yummerzzz said:
I wouldn't say "Overkill".
Overkill is maxing every game at that Rez with a solid 50Fps.

Ummm..... No. Overkill is when you reach around 80 FPS constantly with a 60Hz monitor. 20 FPS over your monitor's refresh rate. Unless you want to be future-proof, then the higher FPS the better for later games. I like 60FPS. Anything above that my eye can't see, but for future games it is nice to have that extra power. For most people 60 FPS is the sweet spot. 50FPS is not overkill. If I only got 50FPS constant, I would be disappointed, very disappointed...
!