Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Experienced Input Needed

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
October 11, 2011 9:43:38 PM

I'm building a dream pc for ultimate gaming on a 24'' haier 1920x1080res monitor. I'd like anybody to look at my setup and make adjustments/give advice/input on how well it's done. I've already had a few people modify it, the current setup I have is on Digital Storm's site:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/loadconfig.asp (ticket number is 604721)

-Notes before looking at it:
-I have a 600gb HDD I'm putting in it, so I only need a SSD
-Still confused on video cards, please focus on that + motherboard I'm still deciding between 2x hd 6950, a hd 6990 now, then another in 6months or so (not buying any of the new series if they come out, because obviously they'll be a ton of $$$$), a gtx580 now, then another later, a gtx 590 now, another later.
-Also feel free to suggest other video cards
-And if you revise it, please save it and post the new ticket number
-If you can help, explain the difference between the 6950/6970/6990, and its mostly for gaming if you were to ask.

Thanks to everybody in advance, this website is so helpful and nice, in 24hours I've asked 5+ questions and gotten perfect replies.

2x thumbs up to Tom's Hardware.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 9:57:36 PM

System looks great!

I definitely agree with the 2500k, as an i7 would be a lot more expensive and not really worth it.

Same with the 8GB at 1600MHz, plenty of memory, and the sweet spot as far as speed goes.

I would definitely go with the dual 6950's or 580's.

The 590 / 6990 are not worth it at your resolution, and much too expensive. Those 2 cards are going to shine at the multi-monitor resolutions of like 5960x1080, but since you aren't going to be using those resolutions they are not worth it at all.

I personally would go with the 580's since they seem to game better than the ATI card due to better drivers, but you can't go wrong either way.

I would also suggest buying the components off of newegg or something similar and building it yourself, you can save a good chunk of cash that way...

CPU $220
MB $150
RAM $50 - 55 depending on brand
PSU $130
SSD $215
DVD $25
NIC $85
GPU $290 (x2)
Case $160

= ~1600 + shipping

That saves you around 800 dollars, with which you can *easily* build a water cooled rig and still save at least $500
a c 120 à CPUs
October 11, 2011 9:57:48 PM

You could save yourself likely hundreds of dollars if you or help of a friend build it.
Honestly it's not as difficult as one might think.
Just saying!
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
October 11, 2011 10:04:10 PM

itzdanielp said:
System looks great!

I definitely agree with the 2500k, as an i7 would be a lot more expensive and not really worth it.

Same with the 8GB at 1600MHz, plenty of memory, and the sweet spot as far as speed goes.

I would definitely go with the dual 6950's or 580's.

The 590 / 6990 are not worth it at your resolution, and much too expensive. Those 2 cards are going to shine at the multi-monitor resolutions of like 5960x1080, but since you aren't going to be using those resolutions they are not worth it at all.

I personally would go with the 580's since they seem to game better than the ATI card due to better drivers, but you can't go wrong either way.

I would also suggest buying the components off of newegg or something similar and building it yourself, you can save a good chunk of cash that way...

CPU $220
MB $150
RAM $50 - 55 depending on brand
PSU $130
SSD $215
DVD $25
NIC $85
GPU $290 (x2)
Case $160

= ~1600 + shipping

That saves you around 800 dollars, with which you can *easily* build a water cooled rig and still save at least $500

i do know a ton about computers in terms of putting it together except for stuff like the processor/water cooled system which i bet i'd f**k up. and i can buy that certain stage water cooled add on off newegg? and would it be hard to maintain? (like replacing liquid or something)

i just hate to see that i can't have them OC all my stuff, run it perfect, and have everything setup

Also any idea how much a professional place would charge me if i had them put it together? None of my friends are tech smart.

and shipping for all the items would cost a ton? or would they pack it all together if i bought it at the same time?
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
October 11, 2011 10:11:25 PM

I know here in Canada if you buy a rig from NCIX or Canada Computers they charge like $50 to assemble it.
A bargain if you're not into it.
You must have something similar in the U.S.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2011 10:12:43 PM

Putting it all together is easy,and if they are only WCing the processor something like this would be *super* easy for you to install and you would have zero maintenance
http://www.corsair.com/cpu-cooling-kits/hydro-series-wa...

Even if you bought the WC system from them, you would have to do maintenance.

OCing the 2500k is crazy simple, honestly one of the easiest chips to OC period. OCing the GPU does almost nothing for you and if you are running in SLI you honestly wouldn't need it. Same with the RAM, no need.

I wouldn't even bother with a shop to put it all together, as it really is simple.

if you bought it all together they could bundle it.

You can also check newegg for package deals.

Like this one for the 2500k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N...
m
l
Anonymous
October 11, 2011 10:30:39 PM

itzdanielp said:
Putting it all together is easy,and if they are only WCing the processor something like this would be *super* easy for you to install and you would have zero maintenance
http://www.corsair.com/cpu-cooling-kits/hydro-series-wa...

Even if you bought the WC system from them, you would have to do maintenance.

OCing the 2500k is crazy simple, honestly one of the easiest chips to OC period. OCing the GPU does almost nothing for you and if you are running in SLI you honestly wouldn't need it. Same with the RAM, no need.

I wouldn't even bother with a shop to put it all together, as it really is simple.

if you bought it all together they could bundle it.

You can also check newegg for package deals.

Like this one for the 2500k
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombos.aspx?Item=N...

Thanks, im still pretty undecided, also, would the lights i can add to it, (of course you need lights to show off the kickass computer) and colored tubing be easy to buy/install?

and i'm on newegg atm, what hd6950's would you buy? i couldn't find the exact one from digital storm.
m
l
Anonymous
October 11, 2011 10:43:20 PM

itzdanielp said:
yeah, the lights are super easy to install. Just buy Cold Cathode tubes.

I like this 6950
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ha exactly what i was looking at. and i have an idea:

ill just have digital storm install the complicated stuff, ill buy a couple things from newegg, get the free item(s), and mail in rebates

m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
October 11, 2011 10:47:43 PM

Consider buying a 6950 with a bios/unlock switch,many don't have this feature now.
m
l
Anonymous
October 11, 2011 10:57:04 PM

any idea on the mouse? i cant find the one i like from digital storm on newegg. the eSPORTS one =\
m
l
Anonymous
October 11, 2011 11:06:53 PM

(skip this)
m
l
Anonymous
October 11, 2011 11:08:46 PM

Best answer selected by kllrfrk.
m
l