Fpda_gear_wind gau

SSI01

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hello,
I am having trouble w/FS2004. My aircraft textures grey out after the engines start. Panels stay ok, all controls work and the sound is fine. I just lose aircraft textures. I then have to ctrl-alt-del out of the sim and get either a "hungapp" message, or "fpda_gear_wind.gau" with 00001520 as the offset in the error signature box. My video card is by NVIDIA. Device Manager says I have four NVIDIA drivers installed, all the same (1.0.15.0), all dated 6-21-10. I also had a RealTek AC'97 Audio card in the list that I've disabled, using only one NVIDIA driver. Now the sim does not load. Does anyone know what is wrong?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would suggest you download both the most current version of your video drivers, directly from nvidia.com and DriverSweeper. Then run DriverSweeper to completely remove the Nvidia drivers. Restart your system and then install the current Nvidia drivers (you should have downloaded earlier). Restart upon completion of the driver install and try FS2004 again.

If this fails, come back and we'll try something else.

Good luck!

SSI01

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I had four - count 'em, four - identical installations of the same NVIDIA audio driver, according to my device manager. I've also got a RealTek AC'97 Audio device, according to the DM. Don't know if this means anything, but thought I'd report it anyway. I'm downloading Driver Sweeper as I write this.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Understood. DriverSweeper can clear them all and allow you to get the right stuff in place afterward. Good luck!

SSI01

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I've got Driver Sweeper going but I get a text box saying an unhandled exception has occurred; if I continue the app will ignore and attempt to continue. I've done so and I get the horizontal scroll on the top of the DS display, but no apparent action. Is DS stalled?

SSI01

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
OK we may be in a jam. I got rid of all NVIDIA items in the device manager. Never could get the scroll on Driver Sweeper to stop, or to let me know any sweep was completed. The lastest NVIDIA display driver (270.61) was downloaded and placed on the desktop. I then restarted the computer. My NVIDIA GeForce GT240 can not start. I tried to install the display driver. The installer runs normally until it gets to 85% at which time is stops. A box opens saying "7-Zip Internal error code 105 - NVIDIA disp driver V270.61 eng.pkg. error." The NVIDIA installer then says it could not finish installation, saying NVIDIA update/PhysX System Software/HD audio driver/nView were not installed, and the graphics driver failed. What happens now?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Not sure what 7-Zip is doing. It shouldn't be part of the process at all.

Try installing while in safe mode.

SSI01

Distinguished
May 3, 2011

Just finished trying that. Installation was initiated but was terminated by a msg box that read "An unhandled exception has occurred in the application. If you hit "continue" it will try to continue. If you hit "quit" it will close" (I paraphrase). Another sentence says "A specified registry key does not exist."

I then restarted the machine. I now get a RUNDLL dialog box on startup that says "Error loading E:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll. The specified module could not be found."

COLGeek

Cybernaut
OK. Try this. If you have 7-Zip installed, uninstall it temporarily.

Also, if you didn't get DriverSweeper from this URL, go here to get it:

http://download.cnet.com/Driver-Sweeper/3000-2094_4-75219868.html

Note this info from Guru3D, "Guru3D - Driver Sweeper is very easy to use. You only have to select the drivers you want to clean.
The best way to clean drivers is to first uninstall the drivers using the official uninstallers, reboot in Safe Mode and run Guru3D - Driver Sweeper. However, rebooting and not going into Safe Mode also works, but can cause some files not to be cleaned."

Last, for now, what are the basic specs for your system?

SSI01

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Thanks and will do as suggested. I will send you sys specs, however, have one question before I reboot in safe mode, install DS and eliminate the necessary files:

In the past, DS has opened and displayed a long list of materials related to NVIDIA. I have noted some items are files, and some items are in the registry. I am given a choice of which to clean. Which am I to clean - files, registry items, or both?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Both.

SSI01

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
OK, downloaded DS from the link you sent. Put it on the desktop but DID NOT open. Restarted the machine in safe mode. Installed DS. Still got the unhandled exception box but pressed continue. This time DS came up and only NVIDIA display files in the registry were shown on the list. Made sure every one was checked to clean. DS ran for about 18 minutes, I got the horizontal scroll on top of the DS box going back and forth, but nothing indicating any progress or even any activity. I then shut the program down and restarted in normal mode so I could send this. I still got the RUNDLL box referred to earlier when I restarted.

I've also run a DXDIAG for system information. Hopefully you can use. Here it is:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/5/2011, 11:38:43
Machine name: OWNER-COMPUTER
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 336MB used, 3603MB available
Windows Dir: E:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Try FS, but only after you verify that all patches are installed. Cruise over to Microsoft Games and make sure your are current.

SSI01

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I now have my computer back, and started FS. It still does the same thing it did before, greying out the textures. I have noted the sim operates smoothly even after engine start but we get the greying out after a short taxi. This time it happened while I was making a turn and viewing out the windscreen of the aircraft. I also noted there was a radio transmission from another aircraft at just about the same time, and the display jerked to a halt for only an extremely short time before resuming as it was running before - when viewed from inside the cockpit. After the jerkiness started while making the turn, when viewed from the inside, and the radio transmission came along - when you went to external view then everything went to grey.

I had to ctrl-alt-del out of the sim. I still get the "hungapp" dialog box.

Went to MS and downloaded fix 9.1 (Bridges fix). I get an "update error type 34" msg when trying to install. However, I installed this fix some time ago anyway, and as far as I know it is the only patch MS released for the sim.

I'm wondering about the sound card.

SSI01

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hdwe specs: MS Windows XP Professional, Version 2002 SP3, AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+, 1.81GHz, 2.00GB RAM, Physical address extension.

Here are the sim settings:

display-
Scenery Quality-custom
Special Effects Detail-medium
Terrain Mesh Complexity-50
Terrain Texture Size-high
Terrain Detail-land only
Water Effects-high (accommodates some first-class water textures)
Dawn-Dusk Texture Blending checked
Extended Terrain Textures checked
Scenery Complexity-Dense
Autogen Density-dense
Add-On Dynamic Scenery-dense
Ground Scenery Casts Shadows checked
Sun Glare, Lens Flare both checked

weather-
Sight Distance-60 mi (lowest setting)
Cloud Draw Distance-40 mi
3-D Cloud Percentage-50
Cloud Detail-detailed
Cloud Coverage Density-medium

hardware-
Target Frame Rate-unlimited (otherwise set at 40)
Resolution-1024x768x32
Render to Texture checked
Transform & Lighting checked
Anti-Aliasing checked
Filtering-bilinear
Mip-Map Quality-4
Hardware-Rendered Lights-5
Global Max. Texture Size-high

All settings, just as they are shown above, worked perfectly until a short time ago when I was infected w/malware which has since been disposed of.

SSI01

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Something accessed my computer and sent out emails to everyone in my address book. It put an attachment on each email which was the infection. I went to a site called malwareremoval.com, made them aware of everything that had occurred - the malware infection as well as the slowdown with FS2004 - and together we rid my machine of the infection. I still have the programs we used to do that if you need a list. By the way this website was one of the places they recommended to help with the problem. Their specialty is viruses, spyware and malware removal, not maintenance or specific program troubleshooting I guess.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
In the future, just go to malwarebytes.org and download, install, update, and run the free version. Free and VERY effective. If that woasn't one of the tools, I suggest you get it ASAP and delete everything it finds.

When complete, I recommend a complete reinstall of FS2004. That would be my next step in the event a key FS file was corrupted during the infection.

SSI01

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
In fact Malwarebytes was one of the programs used to clean out the problem.

I've dreaded the uninstalling/reinstalling of FS2004 due to everything having to be placed back where it was after it was uninstalled. What exactly does an uninstall/reinstall involve?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just go into Control Panel/Programs and uninstall FS2004. Then run CCleaner to clean up your registry. Reboot and re-install FS2004. Not too bad to do. Also, your users settings may actually survive this process if I remember correctly.