Graphic card

lebeeze

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hello,
What info would i need to give you to tell me what type of graphic card my coputer could take? I need a new one that has at least shader module 2.0 but I have no idea what to look for! My computer is pretty old and not that hi tech at all!

What are the specs of your machine? PSU, CPU, RAM, MoBo? What do you plan on doing with it? What is the resolution? If you can't find the specs, here is a path to find 'em: Start>run>DXDIAG, and there you are. The display section will tell you your res, but as for the PUS, you will need to open your case or search online.

lebeeze

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Hello, Thanks for the quick responses this is all the information I could find If you need more just let me know and Ill try and look it up!

system manufacturer: Dell Computer corporation
System Model: Optiplex GX260
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.80GHz
Memory: 1534MB Ram

under display in DXDIAG...

Device: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
Current Display Mode: 1024 X 768 (32 bit) (60 Hz)

Im just trying to play a game called league of legends and I apparantly need something called shader model 2.0! I was told I need to update My Graphics Card in order to get it!

Well, your CPU will hold it back. It is less than the minimal requirements, but only by .2Ghz. I cannot find your machine online, so, do you know what PSU you have? I would get that. It is the only DX9, shader 2.0 and pixel 2.0 I could find that I know wouldn't bottleneck your system. I don't know if your system can run the game though, but if you already have the game and you have $35 extra bucks, why not try.

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
okay there seems to be more than one size to these dells. is the one you have the big one.

does it look like this
188075.jpg

lebeeze

Distinguished
May 3, 2011

So are you saying that there is a Graphics card online for only $35? If its that cheap I dont see why i shouldnt at least try it out! Could you tell me where I can find this Card? Thank you very much in advance!!

lebeeze

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
Yeah I just dont have alot of money lol!! I just moved into my own apartment and all my spare money goes to groceries or gas for my truck!! Id love to get a new computer its just not realistic right now!!

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
i read the specs and they say that the computer has an AGP slot.

it should look like this (edit: the brown one)
agp_slot.jpg

if it has one of these you're gonna have to look for a video card that has the same interface. seeing as how this is an old interface, the cards will be expensive.

there is this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131388

and this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129132

the latter is more powerful. but your cpu is what might be a problem though as it might bottleneck.