Sign in with
Your question

ATI drivers installation crash

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 4, 2011 1:11:01 AM

Just reinstalled Windows xp sp 3 32 bit and am unable to reinstall my ATI video drivers. I keep getting the same error log (attacked bellow) I'v tried installing just the barebone drivers without the catalyst as well as older versions of the catalyst and drivers only to recieve the same error log each time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Catalystâ„¢ Install Manager
Installation Report
05/03/11 22:04:11

Hardware information
Name
Manufacturer ATI Technologies Inc
Device ID 0xaa30
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x040300
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xaa30
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1458
Other hardware

Existing packagesAMD APP SDK Runtime

Packages for install
ATI Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Fail
Version of Item: 3.0.816.0
Size: 20 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Error messages
Application Install: install package failure!

May 4, 2011 2:44:55 AM

Update: Installed .netframework2.0 and no longer crash at the start of the instalation with the error, instead it now makes it to the part of the instalation where the screen is supose to "flicker" and resume the instalation. Instead my PC locks up with a black screen and a tiny box around my curser with odd colours.
a b \ Driver
May 4, 2011 4:06:57 AM

What graphics card do you have? And is windows fully updated?
Related resources
May 4, 2011 4:45:23 AM

The card is hd 4800 series and as far as i can tell windows is fully updated, the auto update is enabled and it's currently not downloading anything else.
May 4, 2011 4:29:08 PM

You need to install your motherboards chipset drivers prior to installing your graphics drivers, did you do that?

Windows updates will fix a lot of things, until you get them all, don't expect miracles. You can't expect AMD drivers to work flawlessly on such an old OS if you don't even have your Windows updates installed.

It generally takes up to a week to get all the updates.
May 4, 2011 4:37:32 PM

Known issue; my 4890 never once had the CCC install program NOT crash.

You can install via command prompt using the "-Install" and "-output screen" switches.

EG:
C:\ATI\SUPPORT\11_3_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Bin64\ATISetup.exe -Install -output screen
May 6, 2011 1:10:54 AM

Problem was resolved by installing windows XP SP1 and disabling windows updates until the drivers were installed. Thanks to everybody in the thread for the information they provided!
!