Antec Three Hundred Question

What direction should the air flow on the side-panel of the Antec 300?

• In-take

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Exhaust

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Sequences

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Hey guys!

I just finished building my first AMD build ever (having only built Intel computers for the past 10 years) and I must say its going really well for now. I am using the Antec Three Hundred Case, and was wondering what direction the air should be moving in for the side fan. Seeing as how there is no dust filter there, does that mean its not supposed to be an in-take?

I'm not sure if I'll ever add a fan there, but if I do, it would be nice to know what direction the air should flow.

Thanks!

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
what i did with my antec 300 is put exhaust on top, back, and side, nothing on front. this creates negative pressure inside the case forcing all air to intake through the front and put dust filters there (forcing all air coming into the case to be clean). and with no fans on the front it helps reduce audible fan noise too.

i tried it with the side fan as an exhaust (and not at all) and what happened is air favoured coming in through side since it'd be least resistant path. GPU temp was ever so slightly lower but with far less airflow over harddrives they ran much hotter. i figured the GPU has a fan and can keep itself cool, HDD can't.

In general front and side fans should be intake, and top and back fans should be exhaust.

I have there Antec 900 cases with preinstalled fans on the front, back, and top.
Installing a side fan hurt my internal temps.

Sequences

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

I just figured it might be exhaust because there wasn't a dust filter on it. But, given the case was relatively cheap, I wasn't sure if I should be expecting a dust filter if it is supposed to be intake.

Also, it is strange how adding a side fan would hurt your internal temps. Do you know why that would be so?